LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-08-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
maddog350gt
User

Default Seller on the net

Hi all,

I usually keep an eye on the Luger's avalible at Gunbroker.com and AuctionArms. Recently an new seller has listed a number of items on Gunbroker.com with the Seller name of Ian Campbell, has anyone had any dealings with this seller before? Many of his pieces look to be restored although he doesn't state this. I checked his feedback and he had 5 positives, all as a buyer. He now has around 50 items for sale. It just seems strange that someone would not have any selling history then have 50 items for sale at the same time. I sent him an inquiry about a G date that's on the board, he replied and answered most of my questions but something about the tone of the message just didn't seem right. It might just be me being paranoid. The message came from an e-mail address AFAmarketing. Has anyone dealt with Ian Campbell or AFAMarketing, did you get what you expected? Any problems or positives?

Thanks,
Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
trigger643
User

His photo and ad technique look very similiar to another seller on GB a few years ago (I don't recall his name), but he was also from Texas and had piles of unusual items. There was a strong warning about him. I don't know if it is the same guy, but I find it unusual that he can take a pretty decent picture of a bulgarian holster, but can't light his weapons up enough to see any detail.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Question

Hi Bob, I too sent questions regarding the G Date. My reply was straight, but not too friendly. I also checked his feedback and as you, noticed he was a buyer of rather inexpensive items.

If you recall some time back there was a fellow that listed on Gunbroker with the same crummy pictures. He also wouldn't provide reserve price or better quality pictures. He offer the firearms as "DKF" from Copperas Cove, TX. If you get out your map of Texas and find the similarity between the two towns (cities about 30 miles apart) one might start to wonder!!

As Orv Reichert would say, be careful, it's a jungle out there!!

As for me, I will run away from this one as fast as I can!!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Interesting, he says,
Quote:
Please do not ask for more pictures, these are the best that I can do.
Then take them outside with more light! Even a crummy camera takes better pictures in DAYLIGHT...

And
Quote:
DO NOT ASK FOR THE RESERVE PRICE.
The guy from "da Cove" ALWAYS said this exact thing...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
maddog350gt
User

Trigger63, Frank, and Ed,

Thanks for the replies. I had some dealings with DFK when I first started to collect Lugers. Part of my tuition at Luger U. I can't say he was dishonest in his dealings with me, but I feel I paid through the nose for the parts and reference books I bought from him. Over a couple of years I spent 3-4K with him, and when I wanted to return a $35 item because it wouldn't function, he told me it had been too long and he couldn't give a refund on it. Admittedly it had been 6 months because I didn't get around to sending it back. I had notified him of the problem when I received the part but didn't get around to sending it when I should have. I sent it back when I did because I had bought another $700-$800 worth of stuff (that's a story itself, I'll tell it over a beer sometime) and was sending him a gun for evaluation. He sent me a very nasty note when he returned my gun telling me he wouldn't refund money on a deal that old. He acted like I was trying to cheat him for $35 after I had spent over $3,000 with him. I decided then not to deal with him any more. He certainly didn't value me as a customer and I had spent some fairly respectable money with him.

I also thought these adds sounded a lot like the same guy but wanted to see if anyone had dealt with "Ian Campbell" and had a track record on him. Frank I think yours is good advice and I will stay clear of him as well.

Thanks,

Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Guys,

Same fellow in three different venues...

He got booted from Gun Broker...all his auctions were frozen for a day or two and then he disappeared from G-B...

Then...he opened up AMA out of Las Vegas...easy to control the feedback when the web site is yours...

http://www.americanfirearmsauctions....AuctionPro.asp

Now he is back under-the-radar on G-B...a few emails from members, here, might alert the folks at G-B...

Why spend money with a seller that offers no refunds, no inspection period, and lousy photos...and please do not...ask his reserve...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

If you check the "auctions" on the website that Pete linked... you will find that nothing has been purchased, there are no bids, there is no history, all sellers are rated 5 stars, and all "sellers" even though by different names, offer no refunds, no inspection period, lousy photos...and please do not...ask for their reserve price... sheesh... they are either all the same person using different names, or a cluster of rude folks on the same website...(Just the opposite of the folks here of course )

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Pete Ebbink
User

Guys,

Send "Ian" an email through G-B and call him Don...see what a reply you will get...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote