LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Doug G.
User

Default Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA

Just bought my first MS rifle. It is the 1950 model in .270 with full stock. All I can say is it is the highest quality rifle I have owned! Bolt is silky smooth and my first group was under 1/2" @ 100 yards with a 3x Lyman All American scope. Any others here own these fine rifles? Will post pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Doug G.; 01-02-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

I do not, but would like to see pics Doug
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hey Doug,
I love em. Please post photos.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Doug G.
User

Default Here are some quick pics

From what I've seem on the web. It appears that the stock is either a replacement or has been drastically altered. As well as it shot it will be replaced with some high-grade wood for sure!

I just love the reticle in this scope! It is a Lyman All American 3x.

Group measures just 13/16" @ 100 yards. Remington 130 gr factory loads.

Unread 01-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Doug,
The stock appears to be a quality custom, or a special order. I have never seen an English straight wrist on one before. How is the wood to metal fit? The cheek piece is well done, with a nice shadow line.

And, also my favorite reticle. I really like posts. I own three and they are on my favorite rifles.

Ron

Unread 01-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Hugh
RIP

Thumbs up

Doug,

Mannlichers are one of my passions, desired one of them before Lugers! I have about a dozen in various calibers, all full stocked carbines. My favorite hunting rifle is a 1950 6.5x54 MS carbine with double set triggers. Here is a target shot with it. Three shots at 100 yds using my handloads. Those are 1/2" rings on the target. Also a couple of pics of deer killed with it.

I have not seen one stocked with the straight grip either. If you remove the stock, the original will have the serial number stamped in the barrel/chamber channel.

[
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Doug G.
User

Hugh, took the stock off and did not see any numbers, although it has been glass bedded. I was thinking of buying a new stock for it, but after finishing and checkering I would have another $600 in the gun. I don't think it's worth it. How much do you charge to checker a rifle stock?
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Hugh
RIP

Question

Doug,

What is the bbl length? It is possible that someone put a "mannlicher" stock on a rifle. The carbines with full length stocks had 20" bbls, except for the 6.5x54, which had a 18 1/2" bbl. The rifles had 24" bbls, except for the "magnums", which had 26" bbls.

I charge $100 to checker a stock which includes both grip sides and the forearm. this does not include return postage & insurance
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
Ron Smith
User

Dang Hugh, That's a nice Buck! That one of them Texas Whitetails?

We've got Pacific Blacktails around here and Muley's from the Central Cascades east. A small herd of Whitetails around Diamond Peak, southeast of here. They are an endangered sub-species, and are VERY protected.
Big time penalty$$$, if you even get caught thinking about shooting one.
You'll lose your rig, your gun, and your hunting privilages for 5 years. There are some record book Bucks running around with them.

Ron

Unread 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
Hugh
RIP

Thumbs up

Yep, Ron, thats one of them south Texas Whitetails. The top pic is typical of what we have over here in east Texas.

Funny thing about that 10 pt, several years ago, my oldest son and I were invited to a "company" lease in south Tx. You could only shoot a 10 pt or better buck. The first morning my son could have shot this one, but passed him up "for a bigger one". The next morning I told him that I wanted his stand, because if that same buck came by, I was going to shoot him. So we swapped stands, and I killed the buck that he passed up. Needless to say, he didn't get a deer that trip and has regretted not shooting him ever since! He was nice enough to mount it for me tho!
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
Steve Richards
User

A beautifull rifle! If it was mine, I would leave the stock as is unless there is some damage that I did not see in the photos. I personally like the full length stocks. One of these days I will save enough to get one.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
Doug G.
User

Hugh, barrel measures right at 20". I was thinking of buying this stock. They want $350 for it plus the cost of checkering and finishing. What do you think?

Quote:
For Mannlicher Schoenaur M1952 (or 50 or 54)- Machined for full lenght barrel(24")- made fromextra fine fancy black walnut- feather crotch figure extending up forend- very nice.

Unread 01-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
Ron Smith
User

Doug,
That is a beautiful stock. The one problem is that to trim it down to a 20", would be a time consuming bear. To get the tapper correct and fit the end cap. I have done it a few times. And it's nerve racking to get the forend tappered thin enough to look right. Not trying to discourage you. It can be done, but would be expensive. Unless you can do it yourself.

Ron

Unread 01-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
Hugh
RIP

Exclamation

Doug,

Looks like a beautiful piece of wood-----however---- I would be leery of the crotch wood in the forearm. I had a custom stock maker tell me one time that the best wood for a mannlicher stock is a blank that has straight grain in the forearm. The straight grain is much more stable than figured wood and will not have a tendency to warp as badly.

If it were me, with the groups that you are getting with the present stock, I would just put a nice checkering job on it and keep it. It has good straight grain, altho a little plain, but appears to be very stable and not subject to warping. If you restock it, you don't know what kind of accuracy you will end up with.

This way you have an excuse to look for another MS with a beautiful figured factory stock! When I get a chance to take a picture of my 6.5x68 mag rifle with its beautiful blond English Walnut factory stock I will post it.

How do you like the set triggers? They take some getting used to, but I have come to love them. You just better be ready to fire when you touch the front one after setting it!!
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:28 PM   #15
Hugh
RIP

Thumbs up MS

Doug,

Have you checked out the MS website? Lots of good info. http://discover-net.net/~kanotex/mannlicher/
You should join the Mannlicher Collectors Assoc!

Unread 01-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
Hugh
RIP

Smile MS Pics

Here are the pictures of the stock on my 6.5x68S Mannlicher Schoenauer.
Unread 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #17
Doug G.
User

Hugh, that is a beautiful piece of wood! I think I am going to keep the one I have and also look for another that is more original to look at and shoot occasionally.
Unread 01-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Heinz
User

Hugh, That is a huge antlered armadillo. No self respecting white tail would stay in Tejas. Nice Manlicher all around. I like the straight grip and have seen one back in the 1960's on an MS from the 1920's. But I do not know if it was original. It had no scope and was a 7 mm something in a nice collection on the Xavier University indoor range in 1966.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote