LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-22-2002, 02:05 AM   #1
tom collins

Default feed back on luger for sale

This is a 1918 Erfurt luger po8 ,9mm in good condition,matching nos.,but after market mag,it has a fair to good bore,IMPORT MARKED,it has the marking that are seen at the top of picture on the grip strap

starting price-$650

comments? feedback?

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/Di...mNum=2252003.0

Unread 01-22-2002, 08:58 AM   #2
tom
User

Default Re: feed back on luger for sale

The markings roughly translate to Infantry regiment 60, 2nd Machine Gun Company. Although in rough shape and import marked, you have a nice and original W.W. I. vet. The price at $650 may be a little on the steep side, but machine gun company guns are sought by collectors.

Figure out how much you really want it and go for it.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:12 AM   #3
Doug
User

Default NO! NO! NO! NO! :>

Never would I pay $650 for that gun! A more fair price is $350 or less strictly as a shooter. Watch the auction and I'll bet it dosen't get a single bid. I have a all matching Erfurt with a Russian rework barrel that is ten times nicer than that for $550.

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
tom collins

Default Re: NO! NO! NO! NO! :>

seems to be some disagreement in the peanut gallery?

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

Although I take Tom's point and this may well be a rare issue, I would not consider this pistol in "good" condition. The finish looks poor (though that might just be the picture - although I doubt it) and the grips (at least the one I can see is very poor. In my opinion this gun isn't worth $650 either, although having said that I'm not aware of how sought after a Machine Gun issue is. You still have 10 hours to watch this piece, if it were me, I'd take Doug's advice and watch, if it's such a great deal lots of folks would be on it. If the auction closes with no bids, you could always email the seller and make him an offer. On the other hand Tom's though bears mentioning... how badly do you want this?

Dok

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: Shooter Luger prices

I think that a couple of years ago the $350 would be a good price, but the trend is for these shooter prices have increased due to many of the import shooters being bought up by owners (not dealers) and people that have always wanted a Luger but never could afford one now own them and dont want to give them up easily hence the market for shooters is drying up a little, this forces prices up. Just my own theory and I feel this upward trend will continue slowly. I also feel if the prices hold higher that eventually people will pay it. I wish there were more nice shooters but if you look at places like Ralph's that have shooter listings, almost all on his list are in the $450-$550 range and almost all of them are shown as sold so SOMEBODY is paying these prices. I look forward to the days when they will discover a big cache of Lugers somewhere and we will see another big slug of them come into the country. Not very likely, but I can dream huh. My nephew bought a byf 42 for $400 two years ago and I was amazed how NICE it was! ~Thor~

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:40 AM   #7
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Shooter Luger prices

Just a year ago AIM surplus were selling Lugers for $350-$450... ahhh for the "good old days".

Unread 01-22-2002, 10:38 AM   #8
Bob in AZ
User

Default Re:Luger sale prices

IMO, lots depend on where you are making a buy. Out here in the Phoenix area, where guns abound, I've picked up a few Lugers at a fair price. At the last Mesa Gun show I scored a 1916 DWM in good+ conditon for $375. All matching except grips and mag, nice bore, about 85% finish. It did come with a nice wood bottom WWI mag. I'm very happy with it, cleaned up nicely, a good "starter" Luger.

However, if you live in a area where guns like this only come out once in a while, then the prices will be a bit higher. I use to live back east in a small town. If a nice or rare gun was sold, it came out by way of a phone call in the middle of night. You only heard about it after the sale was completed. And if you saw a Luger at a show they wanted millions for it.

Inclosing, I found the internet auctions to be a great place for selling. One can reach out to all those in small towns and make big bucks. Oh once in awhile you will score a sleeper. But in general its best to buy at fix prices if not a hands on sale.

Just my 2cents.

Bob

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:33 AM   #9
Marvin
User

Tom,

As some of the other posters stated, the area of the country does make a difference in the price. In the Western South Carolina, Goergia, and Charlotte, NC area, many of the import marked dip blued Lugers have a price tag of up to $800 on them. I have not seen many buyers, but any Luger in the $500-600 are being sold.

Unless you want a Machine Gun Company marked Luger, you can go to Tom Heller or Ralph Shattuck and get a nice import marked pistol in the $500 range. These are tough decisions, but whatever you do, don't look back and enjoy what you get; the value will climb.

Marvin

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:49 AM   #10
mikeruth
User

Default Ralph

Ralph told me in no uncertain terms (all caps) that he was not dealing in shooters any more. I was very disappointed as I had heard good things about dealing with him. Ha!

There is almost no one that will help the person on a limited budget that wants a Luger. They are after more profit.

Unread 01-22-2002, 12:55 PM   #11
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: Ralph

If you want it for a shooter, you certainly don"t want a fair to good bore!! Bet on it being "FAIR".

Lonnie

Unread 01-22-2002, 02:09 PM   #12
Doug
User

Default Re: NO! NO! NO! NO! :|

Tom, I like everyone has their own opinions. I do not collect by regimental markings, but even if I did it would not change my opinion. If you look at trends in the collecting fields you will find that low quality condition guns always remain low in value. The only departure to this is if it is extremely rare, like a .45 or a true Baby Luger. To say that the P.08 in question is a tird would not be fair, but on the other hand it should not command a huge increase over a non, or other regimentally marked gun. I would not want to pay top dollar for a sub-standard condition gun. That being said here in Illinois a gun in that condition would sit for many years at that price and would only be acquired in a favorable trade scenario. I recently bought a shooter all matching but in rough condition for $350. The asking price for it a few years ago was $750. After the dealer carted it to many shows over the years I finally made my offer with the statement "arenĂ¢??t you tird of dragging that thing around!" Bottom line is wait and the good deals will present themselves.

This is just my opinion though.

Unread 01-22-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
66mustang

Default prices

Doug I do agree with you. A beat up gun won't increase in value very much.

I wanted a broomhandle Mauser so bad, that when those ones from China or whereever showed up about 12-13 years ago I bought one. I paid, uhhhh, lets see (long time ago), I think $135 for it, and maybe someone could throw out a price? I expect it would go for around $200. Has lots of charector and probably no blueing. I bought a beat up to heck holster for it last year off of e-bay. total piece of... It is wonderful with my broomhandle, because it fits the charecter of the broomie.

Anyway, if you are looking for a shooter, then prices will go up, but not like an all matching beauty.

My Mauser shooter, I paid $325 (probably paid too much for it 13 or 14 years ago, and shooters go for around $450 - 500, so I have increased the value around $125 to $150. I am sure a comparable all matching 90% blued gun would have increased by $400 - $600 dollars?

Ed

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:16 PM   #14
Kyrie
User

Hi Tom,

This one is worth maybe $250. Bore stinks and it's ugly.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 01-22-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
Thor
User

Tom, if you only care about the Lugers ability to shoot well and dont care if the serial number on the barrel matchs, you might buy a cheap one with a bad barrel and have a brand new barrel fitted by Hugh Clark or Tom Heller. Another option to consider. Some bad bores shoot really well, some do not! ~Thor~