LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
mr.ery
New User

Default byf questions

Hello,
This is my first post but I have been trying to wear out the search button first. I have to say that the wealth of knowledge here is top notch!
I have the same situation as many. I was left a P.08 from by grandfather who served in WWII with a wonderful story attached to it. Now I am just trying to get some FACTS about the weapon, LOL.

From my searches about my byf I have found that it does have the Mauser military proofs S/42,42. It also has a "42" stamped right behind the barrel. Noted, referenced from the "markings" page of this website; Number 46&47. and it has the last "eagle stamp" the one to the far right.

My confusion is about the rest of the "numbered stamps". They are all "21" or "2021".
Anyone know about these numbers?

Thanks.
mr.ery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Stan,

Welcome to the forum. The serial number is 2021 (Letter suffix?) on front of the frame below the barrel and on bottom of the barrel. All other numbered parts should correctly have the last two digits of the SN which is 21. This would be considered an "all matching" Luger.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
mr.ery
New User

Thanks Ron,

I did not see any letter suffix attached to the serial number. Every other 2 digit number on the gun is 21, there is only one stamped "42" right behind the barrel on the top of the gun.
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Balder
User

Stan,

Welcome to the world of Lugers, the regulars here have a wealth of information - I'm still a novice. (I do have two byf 42 Lugers similar to yours though)

42 over the chamber behind the barrel means that it was produced in 1942, the last year of byf (Mauser) Luger production. Pictures would be nice, does it have black bakelite grips or wooden ones? What does the magazine look like, any markings present there?

Good luck!

Regards,

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
mr.ery
New User

Thanks Balder,

It has wooden grips on it. I did not see any markings on the magazine although I did not inspect it very well. I do not have it in my possesion right now to be able to take pictures, sorry. My dad is enjoying it right now and is not too computer savvy so I am doing the research for him. Any other way to find out some history behind it? Would there be any other markings possibly to be found if dis-assembled?
Unread 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
the gunman
User

Hi Stan tell us the story that went with the gun.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote