LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
rolandtg
User

Default Info about 41 byf?

Howdy! I recently picked up this mix-master 41 byf Luger. The upper assembly is all marked the same with 1653 (8.82) and the frame with the exception of the side plate is marked 6277(z?)
The grips are unmarked on the inside except one is stamped P08. Since it's got the "X" on the frame I assume it's a Russian capture. The "655" eagles on the upper appear to have been "peened" a bit to obscure the eagles. It's also got "Germany" stamped on one side of the frame.
It was nicely refinished by the seller. In spite of the mismatched numbers I thought it was an attractive piece and I wanted a pistol I could shoot.
I'm just wondering about dates of manufacture and any other info ya'll could provide.
Here's some photos. Thanks in advance.

rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Howdy Back!! Welcome to the Luger Forum. The frame of your pistol (6277z) is from a Luger that was completed about October 1941. The "X" indicates it's a Russian Capture.

The person that refinished the pistol didn't make the Luger authentic. The strawed small parts were discontinued about May 1937. All the parts on a 41 byf should be blued. It still does look nice with strawed small parts!!

Hope this helps!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
76 VETTE
User

Hi.
Nice gun; looks good, even dispite the strawing.
Is the color really as 'plum' as it looks in the pics??

Did you already shoot it? Did it function well? Results okay?

Peet.
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Balder
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
The person that refinished the pistol didn't make the Luger authentic. The strawed small parts were discontinued about May 1937. All the parts on a 41 byf should be blued.
Frank,

I may be in the dark here, but both my original finish "Black Widow" byf 42's have the safety (the part that slides up to block the sear) in the white, no blueing present.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Balder, the safety slide should be in the "white". That's normal!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Balder
User

Quote:
All the parts on a 41 byf should be blued.
Frank,

I am still confused; am I correct in assuming that your quoted statement above is somewhat contradictive to your most recent one below? Or are there differences between the 41 and 42 byf's?

Quote:
Balder, the safety slide should be in the "white". That's normal!!
Regards,

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Stu
User

I think the safety slide is the bar that blocks the sear, and is in the white, and the safety catch that was strawed was later blued is, for want of a better term, the safety operating lever ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
rolandtg
User

Thank you for the info. Yes, the upper assembly is a dark plum color.
Any other info anyone can provide would be appreciated. I suppose it's not possible to date the upper assembly due to no letter like is on the frame?
I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, perhaps this week end. The barrel appears to be in fair condition and the upper action is tight. The trigger feels a little "squishy" to me but I've never fired a Luger before.
I know the small parts aren't refinished "date correct" but like I said, I thought it was an attractive package and I wanted a Luger I could admire and shoot.
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
rolandtg
User

Took it to the range today. I'm happy to report that it consumed a couple of boxes of Winchester white box 9mm with only one failure to extract.
As I suspected the trigger is terrible. Or is it normal for there to be so much take-up in a Luger trigger? Perhaps I'll take it by my gunsmith and get his opinion.
At first I was shooting too low, it took a few clips to get used to the sites. The spent brass looked pretty good, didn't see any signs of excessive chamber wear. Is it normal for a Luger to slightly dent the mouth of the casing during extraction?
I definitely need to get a loading tool, my thumb is sore!
All in all I was pretty satisfied with the performance but I still think I prefer my Browning P-35.
Unread 03-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

It is normal for a Luger trigger to have a long travel, and no two are the same. I once had a Luger--all matching--whose trigger pull was so long that I had to pull the trigger clear into contact with the frame before it would fire.

The Luger ejector is inlet into the right receiver extension, and so pushes the spent case toward the left out of the breechblock face. This causes the case mouth to strike the left receiver extension on its way out, denting--or at least marring--the case mouth.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
rolandtg
User

Dwight, thank you for the feedback. The trigger on this pistol pulls almost back to the frame before it fires. To me that seems too far but otherwise the pistol functioned fine.
I own several other WWII-era pistols & rifles. I see that the Luger really is just a little different!
I guess me & the Luger just need some more time together to get to know each other.