LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
unterhund
User

Default G.T. Magazine

Gentlemen--perhaps this is the wrong sub-forum to post this, but as I just got my new magazine from G.T., I have to relay my appreciation.

He made a new mag for my 1936 S/42; it started out as a nickled MecGar, and he added his own aluminum bottom, follower, and superb spring.

As I said in a message to him, I haven't shot it yet, but if looks count, this one is a winner!!
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

It's a winner, alright!!!
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
alterfritz
User

I must add my opinion too I received my Luger with 2 mags but one was damaged, so I ordered 2 Mac Gar magazines, they were alright but the last few rounds would mostly jam. I sent them to GT and about 3 weeks later I got them back with new springs and a wood bottom. They look great, even with a tiny G.T. engraving at the bottom and they shoot better than the good Mauser one.
I will get 2 more from G.T. in a few months
alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default MEC-GAR feedback!

Thanks Guys, for the feedback on the MEC-GAR upgrades... The mag is one of the key culprits to malfunction, and improvements in this area, are always helpfull to the shooter... The component of the MEC-GAR mag that is most important, and has to be absolutly correct is the shell, and on the MEC-GAR mag's, it is both correctly dimensioned, and also hardened... In this regard, it is superior even to the originals... The next part they got absolutely right (for their tube) was the follower and follower button.. ..All good stuff.. After that the other main components suffer a bit on quality and design... most noticably, the follower spring continues to take a degrading set.. and the follower spring cap, doesn't gather the spring correctly upon full compression... then there is the plastic bottom that is durable to wear, but, occasionally fractures at the pin holes and blows out the bottom .... Probably a bad thing to have happen in a gun fight??? .... Anyway, My up-grades are geared to improve these deficient areas, and provide improved durability and function... They are not perfect, but about as good as can be had right now... For perfect function, other areas have to be addressed as well, such as cartridge power and OAL, Mainspring tension, and general mechanical shape of the P.08 it's self... In short, all has to be tuned together, and the gun can, and will perform flawlessly.... Thanks again guys for the confidence you have shown in my up-graded mags, BTW, They look a bit more like what a nice shoot'en Luger should be wearing anyway! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GT is the MAN for mags. I do carry all of his wood bottoms for those of you wants to purchase these separately from complete mag repairs. TH
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
unterhund
User

I'd like to add that the nicely polished aluminum bottom gives a pleasant aesthetic appeal. My late father's Luger always had a pair of wood bottomed mags, which apparently were not issued originally to the pistol--where they came form, I have no idea.

My Dad had the pistol re-blued by a German gunsmith in the early sixties. The guy did very good work, although he blued the mag release, thumb safety, and take-down lever. He also "jeweled' the trigger and ejector. Now G.T.'s lovely mag bottom adds a nice touch to the gun's appearance.

I would like to have the mag release, take down lever, and thumb piece strawed--any reccomendations?