LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Navy
RIP

Default Borchardt Disassembly Instructions

Any one know where I can find a set...with re-assembly instructions included?

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Tom,

I think Ron Wood has this info... send him a PM. This website may be another possible source: http://www.landofborchardt.com/

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

Hi John,

Long time no see, my friend.

Nothing on that site, so I will bug Ron.

Thanks

Tom A
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,928 Times in 1,194 Posts

Tom: I found this reference in one of the late Ian Hogg's books:

To dismantle the Borchardt first ensure that the magazine is removed, the gun empty and the striker forward.

Then grasp the recoil spring housing securely, remove the screw therein and then allow the housing to come away from the pistol (under control, since the recoil spring is tending to force it off). Pull the housing clear and unhook the recoil spring from its anchorage on the toggle.

Do not attempt to remove the recoil spring from the housing. The side covers on the frame may now be lifted clear to expose the toggle anchor pin, which can then be pushed out. (It may be said at this point that familiarity with stripping the Luger is an asset when dealing with the Borchardt.)

Next remove the screw above the trigger and push up the trigger plate and trigger to remove them.

The barrel unit with the toggle can now be slid forward on the frame and removed, and the toggle and breech block can be taken from the barrel assembly by sliding them rearwards.

The breech block is closed at the rear by a screw-head; give this half a turn and it, together with the firing pin and firing-pin spring, can be removed.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above procedure, but care should be taken when hooking the recoil spring on to the toggle and replacing the recoil spring housing in position.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

I want to see a photo with Tom and his "toes" and all the Borchardt parts laying around him along the floor...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Gerben found a good reference. I found out how to disassemble a Borchardt by studying the parts diagram and figuring out how it should come apart. I got lucky and did it right, but I also was not working on a pristine piece so as long as I didn't break anything I was prepared for a little trial and error. The most important thing to observe is holding the mainspring housing tightly while taking out the retaining screw and then ease off the tension to unhook the mainspring from the toggle T-link.

The spring covers on the side that give you access to the toggle axel pin are held in place by a T-shaped stud on the back that fits into a slot in the frame. You can rotate the cover far enough to completely remove it from the frame if you want to...but when reinstalling it be sure to hold the cover down tightly so that it can pivot freely on the shaft of the T-stud. I had to fix a Borchardt for Ralph Shattuck one time because someone had removed a cover and then tried to turn it to put it back on without holding it down. They didn't get the top of the "T" totally within the frame so consequently when they rotated the spring cover the stud twisted out of alignment and the cover wouldn't lock back into place. I got the stud rotated back properly, but when you are working on a $15,000 gun with a pair of smooth jaw jeweler's pliers you are sweating BBs the whole time.
Unread 05-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Navy
RIP

Thanks guys. I just wanted to field strip mine for a thorough cleaning. Perhaps I will re-think this.

Tom A
Unread 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Pete Ebbink
User

" I just wanted to field strip mine for a thorough cleaning. Perhaps I will re-think this... "

Tom,

Toes always need a good cleaning. Our wives really like that...
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Pete Ebbink
User

Repro case and goodies :

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=3753
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

I talked to Doug Smith about this once and the only advice that he could give me is to make sure that the gun is NOT cocked. I have been thoroughly intimidated by this weapon since I got mine.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote