LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
MikeB
User

Default My P08-idea of value?

Not looking to sell, just need some info prior to appraisal for insurance purposes...my Dad was an avid gun collector, and I'm only keeping a few of his collection...in the midst of what I'm keeping is his Luger.

I wis I had access to a digital camera to show pics, but I did get some infor off of the gun itself.

It's the 9mmP version.

sn is 4449 with "42" on top, all the parts I could visibaly see have the 49 on them, clip number does not match, it has brown checkered grips in excellent shape...tapping on them with my finger nail, they seem to ring like plastic, not a duller thud of wood.

They only wear on the bluing is at the tip of the barrel, looks like holster wear...wear from where the slide make a mark on the action, and a wear line from the safety.

Also, the butt metal, between the grips in the rear of the gun, looks as if most of the bluing is gone and is reddish now.

No pits clamp marks/etc.

Pretty sure the gun was never re-blued, since he had it since the mid 60's, but who knows.

The suffix code might be a "B"...sorta looks like a "laid down heart" on it's side..top of the "heart" is larger than the bottom, and has a "tail" going off to the left.

It does have "byf" on it as well.

There's another 6 or so marking on the barrel and through the gun, but I for some reason can't find the "technical" link to assist in ID'ing them...had it last night, but seems to have gone away today.

I figure if the gun is only worth a grand or so, then I'll go ahead and service it and use it a shooter, ofcourse if it worth a lot more, then I'll insure it with some of his other collectable pieces.

Also, WOW!!! I never knew there were so many different types of Lugers made...I've been going through the site here since last night just being amazed at all the different variations of guns.

Thanks,

Mike
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Mike, pictures would help a lot. I can say that it was made in 1942 (the 42) and the manufacturer is Mauser (byf).

I think a grand is a good chunck of money, but if it is all matching and not reblued, well, it might be worth twice that...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
MikeB
User

That's what I'm thinking...i/e it's not a "real collectors piece", but before I go abusing it, I'd like to make sure.

I'll try to get some pics and repost in the future.

My thing with guns (as what was my dads for the most part) was get'em and shoot'em, why save them for someone else?

The only reason we never fired this in the last 40+ years was because he'd used up the box of amo it came with, and we never got around to getting more for it...otherwise the barrel would probably be shot out by now
Unread 11-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
MFC
User

Mike,
I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but what you described is very collectable. $2000 range. Many want to shoot there collectable guns if only once, myself included, but if you break a numbered part it will then be a (shooter), worth around $600- $750.
Mike C.
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
MikeB
User

Hmmn...now if that's the case (worth more than I thought), might be best to just keep it tucked away.

My neighbor is supposed to upload the pics he took of it for me, should have something up later today.

Thanks!
Unread 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
saxman
User

I would want to clean, inspect, document all parts, oil and reassemble. You have to get in the 'curator' mindset with these pistols, because they are only going to increase in value. You have to be thinking of what condition it will be in a century from now. If it hasn't been touched in forty years I would suspect corrosion in hidden places. It can easily be taken down and cleaned without harming the finish or anything else. Wood grips dry and crack over time without proper treatment. If you don't feel comfortable working on it I would suggest a gunsmith or advanced collector with experience with Lugers.
Unread 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
MikeB
User

That's good info! I think corrosion would be non-existant though...Dad would have oiled and cleaned it properly before putting it in the safe (which has one of those bulbs in it), always has been a habit of his/ours, even after shooting a 10 dollar gun.

I hope to get some pics up soon though.