LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
Frank Godinieu

Default What it means?

Hi,

I own a luger, with the date 1937 on top of the frame, it is silver-plated, i think it is a navy one.

On the left side of the frame, it has three very samll markins: two are small eagles with the number 63 below each, and the other is a single eagle.

I don't know what this means.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks

Frank

Unread 02-28-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: What it means?

Frank look to the left of the forum, you can see the technical information, here you can find what the 63 means. (I'm running short of time, but wanted to help, at least a little).

More than likely your Luger is not silver plated but nickled? That was almost universally done after the war by a GI, it does ruin the collector value, and makes them worth anywhere from $350 - $500 or so.

Also, to find a bit of history, if you can check to see if it has matching numbers through out the gun, does it have markings on the toggle, etc. Something like S42 or 42 or DWM, etc.

Serial number under the barrel on the frame, might have something like 4356 and then have a small letter by it, a f or b or something?

hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Unread 02-28-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
Jerry G.
User

The two E63s are inspector stamps and the lone eagle is the proof stamp. There should be a proof stamp and E63 on the barrel as well. These are very light and may have been buffed off when the gun was plated.

Unread 02-28-2002, 02:17 PM   #4
Marvin
User

Hello Frank,

Your Luger sounds like a standard Military pistol. If it was a Naval pistol, there would probably be an "N" or "O" followed by a number stamped on the gripstrap (I think they were still marking Naval pistols in 1937 with the inventory number). There also may be some other Naval stamps with an Eagle/M on the frame. If your pistol does not have these, it will be a standard Military pistol.

As 66mustang stated, your pistol sounds like it has been platee with either nickle or chrome as some point in it's life, and most assuredly after the war by the veteran. It was a common practice for returning vets to have their "prize" dolled up with the plating. Today, it seriously effects the collectible value by 50% or more according to how well the job is done. This plating in no way effects the use of the pistol as a nice shooter, and the history behind the pistol is still there, take care of it!

The Eagle/63 is an inspection stamp called a Waffenamt Stamp. This stamp was put there by a Government employee to assure that the pistol met all the quality standards of a Military pistol. You can read the history of the Heereswaffenamt in the Technical Section of the Forum, under the heading of "Markings", and the top line.

The third stamp will be an Eagle clutching a Swastika in a circle. This was the final test proof of the pistol when it fired 3 proof load rounds and showed no problems.

Hope this helps a little and if you need more information, let us know.

Marvin

Unread 02-28-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
BCC

Default Why do you believe it's Navy? (EOM)

Unread 03-01-2002, 02:14 PM   #6
Frank Godinieu

Default Re: Why do you believe it's Navy?

Hi, thanks for the commentary on my Luger.

Well I know most colts, but i am not familiar with Lugers. The thing is my gun has a sign that reads "GESICHERT" above a lever on the back part. I took a book, and because i saw the chrome on the gun, i though it was original, plus the "GESICHERT" marking, it made me think it was a navy pistol, because a photo on the Standard Catalog of Firearms showed a chromed or nickeled gun and said those few were made for the Navy.

Thanks for the Eagle answer.

Frank

Unread 03-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Default Re: Why do you believe it's Navy?

Frank,

The word "Gesichert" translates to "Made Safe", and in English "Safe". When this is showing, the safety is on.

As to the chrome being a Navel piece, I have seen this printed before, but there is no documentation to back up this. Some dealers will tell tale tales to sell a pistol and this is one of those. Enjoy the pistol!

Marvin

Unread 03-01-2002, 05:32 PM   #8
BCC

Default I wanted to understand

if there were any other facts about where the Luger came that would have given you this feeling. I agree with Marvin on this. It was fairly common for Navy firearms to be Tin plated and even have a variety of other finishes in the 19th century and earlier, but I've never heard of anything like this (original) to a Navy used Luger (30+ years of listening!). I don't think anyone could say for sure who and when the plating was done other than it was not factory original or military authorized and there is tremendous evidence from soldier accounts that GI's had many captured pistols plated after WWII from Paris to New York.

Value ("collector" or otherwise...everyone who aquires things is some type of collector) would IMO be in the range given in the earlier response....if really nice shape and clearly circa 1945 vintage plating maybe more.