LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-19-2001, 08:23 PM   #1
DAVID
User

Default What is the proper holster for a 1921

dated DWM with Sear safety.? Military proofs. Thanks David.

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:39 PM   #2
mac

Default Re: What is the proper holster for a 1921

Several possibilities. First, immediately following WW1 there were a great many holsters laying around and many were likely reemployed to hold 1920's lugers. Because the police adopted a holster style (I don't know quite when but it isn't common until the late 1920's) that differed from the military style. Any luger holster with a button-up closure strap would be an appropriate holster for your police luger. Many I have seen were in shortened LP08 holsters from WW1. These had up-straps when constructed. No stud was added to close the strap so conversion required only shortening and sewing a plug in the holster bottom. Police specific holsters from the 1920's had an inverted teardrop closure tab. These rarely appear in my experience. Your sear safety was installed sometime after 1933. We can not be sure how early it was entered into police service. I have seen early date DWM police lugers in 1940 dated police holsters. Therefore, you could confidently mate it with a 1939-1940 police specific holster and it would be correct. These date holsters, made by Berlin makers such as Schambach and Co., A Fischer, or Kern Klager and police inspected would be examples. So would WW1 military holsters converted to have an up-strap or one of the others I have mentioned. I have even seen police lugers in military holsters but you never know when it got such a holster (1935 or 1985) so I would prefer a police design holster.

I hope that helps.

Dave