LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 12-02-2004, 12:17 AM   #1
G.W. Gill
User

Post Luger Mags

My FXO mag bases don't look shiny aluminum color. They almost look pot metal. I admit they have been stored improperly for a decade. Has this happened to any others out there. I can't recall cleaning them in any solution. Anything is possible. 37 FXO, Thanks G.W.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GW, It the aluminum bottoms of your FXO mags are a Grey color with numeric digits of a larger size than on the frame of your luger, particularily if they also have a 1 or 2 above or below the serial, they are probably DDR replacement bottoms. TH
Unread 12-03-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
G.W. Gill
User

Thanks Doc, There is a 1 on the base of one and the other is blank. I gather that they are rebuilds. My Dad and I traded Lugers 20 years ago. I have some leftovers parts and such... The eyes of three hurricanes passed over my family home, and the workman are stealing my all my guy stuff. My Mom's over 80 and does not realize what the Guy stuff is. She just lost a thousand dollar watch to a gentleman from from New York (or was that PR). I got him and the watch (just not the serial # It was custom made....) It was on his wifes wrist when to SO questioned him. The house was sound but the antenna and some tiles were loose. So she is having satilite TV and small repair work done. So much guy stuff is going into these guys tool boxes.... Mom sais "Get it out of here!" if I care for it so much. I don't have an answer other than she is right. I live 300 miles away. I don't have a garage... and I do know I am taking advantage of the security of "home"...
Unread 12-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Malcolm P.
User

GW, you need to get a storage unit and get your stuff under control. Almost reminds me of a situation where a wife did not want that "old gun" in the house - WWII 1911 - so she disposed of it in one of these gun turn-in programs in the northeast some years ago. Problem was, it was actually her husband's nephew's inheritance that he had for safe keeping. My client (the nephew - I'm attorney) was not happy nor the husband. Between restitution on the pistol and attorney fees, they had to cough up over $5,000.00.
Good news is that I ran into the client recently, and the 1911 turned up. It had been donated to some museum and during an audit of their collection the serial number turned up reported stolen. He flew up there and got the pistol back. Plus, the uncle divorced the wife. He let her head to grocery store, had the locks changed on the house, and when she came out of store was served with the papers including a restraining order! Nephew kinda liked that.
Malcolm P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GW, Sorry to hear of your loss. If you do recover some guns or parts that you no longer want, please advise as I'm alway in the market for WW2 and before pistol parts and accessories. Tom H.
Unread 12-04-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
G.W. Gill
User

Thanks for the support guys. I was in a "Mood". The Old Man is gone and the Mom is alone. This is what happens to guys stuff when they pass. I was there for the holliday and saying "I'm still alive!". I allow our Handyman a pick once a year, however, this storm season has been h... I think the worst is over. The one I'm most proud of is that 81 yr old Marine BAM out in rural Polk Co!. She ordered me to take here home before the third storm struck. She thinks MRE's are confusing but very interesting, loves FEMA for the ice, and doesn't wan't to keep her flood insurance up. I keep pointing to the cypress stumps in the yard and told her they were fast moving storms. Dad was a Chosen Few Marine w/ C. Puller. They are all old Soldiers or thier Widows out there. She deserves me there more often. I am in constant contact by phone and bring her to the grandkids often...