LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 01-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
Navy
RIP

Post How I score

All,

I am often asked how I manage to come up with as many "goodies" as I do in a collecting field that is, shall we say, somewhat specialized.
Well, my secret is the secret of all worthwile endeavors, time and money.

I spend an inordinate amount of time searching the internet gun shops, bulletin boards, auction sites and auction houses. As a part of this, I have made friends with most of the larger dealers and many other collector/dealers and just plain ole collectors such as I. You may recall my previous post about the Navy Luger Cabal. The thought is that 3 sets of eyes is much better than only one.

Additionally, in my business I travel frequently chasing the almighty dollar. A nice diversion when time permits on the road is visiting local gun shops and pawn brokers. They seldom have anything of interest unless it is priced on the moon, but occasionally a sleeper turns up. As an adjunct to this, I try to attend at least two major gun/militaria shows a year. Last year, I hit the jack pot at the Feb SOS in Louisville by scoring a beautiful KM rig. I will be at SOS in a couple of weeks looking to duplicate that; I will also be in Chattanooga for the summer NAPCA conference. Hopefully there will be some NAPCA guys who have some Navy guns that they are tired of, collecting dust around the house, wife is nagging them to get rid of...yeah, right!

The second "secret", is money. My Grandfather taught me as a wee lad that I could always get more money but could never get more time. I think that is very applicable to scoring really desirable pieces. Each week or month everybody gets a paycheck of some type. The question becomes, after food, clothing and shelter, not to mention the extortion payments to various governments in income, real estate, sales, use, ad valorem, personal property, self-employment, social security, medicare and other taxes, what are you going to do with the rest of the money.

Well, I indulge my hobby and buy the best stuff I can find. (That includes the best bourbon, Jefferson Reserve.) If a piece is a delight to behold and I need it to fill a hole, I don't worry about it being a couple hundred over what it should be selling for. The fact that I have found one I need more than compensates for the additional money. And besides, as I do not purchase with re-sale in mind, I don't really give a damn about the money, so long as I am not being gouged outrageously.

So there it is folks. I invest my most precious commodity, my time and occasionally pay a bit more than I should, but I manage to keep acquiring some primo pieces. I would commend this approach to anyone aspiring to build a nice collection as it has worked well for me.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,619 Times in 528 Posts
Essentially, like anyone who's successful in anything, you "work" your butt off in pursuit of Navy Lugers. Probably the best kept "secret" of any successful man or woman.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Tom, Very good advice for us all....Someday I would like to come and look at all of your treasures. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
lugercollector
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Tom....as a Canuck in the Luger business.....I can relate to your M/O......your Grandfather was a smart man.....I think it was Roger Penske who said "The harder I work...The luckier I get!!!)...Good Lugers take a lot of effort to get!!!...Cheers....Peter...
lugercollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Tom,
good words of wisdom. There is a close relationship between hard work and good luck. I would like to add a few words from my favorite book, "The Millionaire Mind" by Thomas Stanley.
(1) Marry the woman that you want to stay with the rest of your life. Divorces cost more than just money. I once talked to your friend, Seltzer. Here is a guy who is in love with his wife.
(2) Also, "know your product". It is possible to find bargains but sometimes the price is outrageous. You have to be able to tell the difference. If you feel that the price is fair, then it isn't wrong to buy the Luger... just because you like it.
(3) Shop around and be friendly to people. Its a lot easier to negotiate if the person that you are talking to likes you.

Tom,
If I ever make it to a show that I think your going to be at, I will bring some on my obsolete navies with me. Chivas Regal or Johnny Walker Black work just fine with me.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
Navy
RIP

Will be at SOS in Louisville 19, 20, 21st of Feb.
Have a table; forum members encouraged to drop by .

Tom A
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
Heinz
User

Tom, is the Louisville show open to the public?
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Navy
RIP

All,

Pls see my late post under Kriegies..All it takes is time, money and occasionally (THANK YOU John D.!!) a trusted agent.

Based on John D.'s impecible credentials, I entrusted him to vet a Kriegie that is a rare bird by anyone's taxonomy. He gave it a clean bill; I sent a check. I will see th e Kriegie for the first time Thursday. I am confident that it will be as advertised or better.

This is, at least for me, what this is about: trusting people sharing a common interest working together to assist each other.We can't be at all the places we need to be between business,family (?) and collecting, so additional "eyes" are needed. That is why the Navy Cabal was formed, and the collections of individual members have grown dramatically.

Maybe others out there might be interested in doing something similar.....

Tom A.