LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Ococker
New User

Default Ballistol

While looking into Ballistol as a bike chain lubricant I learned that it was developed for the German army in WW I. That could make it a natural for early, or other, Luger care.
Has anyone a helpful comment on this?
Ococker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Once upon a time, Stoeger sold Stogerol. I wonder if it was just relabelled BALLISTOL, the claims were similar.
But what claims! In 1939, Stoegerol would clean your gun barrel and stock, and the leather holster, too. It had medicinal properties, too:
"Stoegerol kills pus germs and bacteria in wounds in man and beast and sterilizes them until medical assistance can be procured. Effective in running sores, chafing and soreness after horseback riding, perspiring and sore feet, burns, frostbite, prickleheat, eczema, rheumatism, gout, colds in the head, coughs (Rub nose, throat, and chest or other affected parts with Stoegerol.) If used before hiking and hunting tramps, prevents soreness and chafing. Stoegerol relieves piles, eczema, drin and moist, destroys fleas, body lice, mange, crabs, scabies and all other vermin on man or beast."

"Stoegerol is indispensable as a rust preventer of surgical instruments."

P.S.

I've been using BALLISTOL on most EVERYTHING, wood and leather as well, they say you can even drink it, non toxic, bah! I 've got no intention of trying it.

Sergio
Unread 05-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Once upon a time, Stoeger sold Stogerol. I wonder if it was just relabelled BALLISTOL, the claims were similar.
But what claims! In 1939, Stoegerol would clean your gun barrel and stock, and the leather holster, too. It had medicinal properties, too:
"Stoegerol kills pus germs and bacteria in wounds in man and beast and sterilizes them until medical assistance can be procured. Effective in running sores, chafing and soreness after horseback riding, perspiring and sore feet, burns, frostbite, prickleheat, eczema, rheumatism, gout, colds in the head, coughs (Rub nose, throat, and chest or other affected parts with Stoegerol.) If used before hiking and hunting tramps, prevents soreness and chafing. Stoegerol relieves piles, eczema, drin and moist, destroys fleas, body lice, mange, crabs, scabies and all other vermin on man or beast."

"Stoegerol is indispensable as a rust preventer of surgical instruments."

P.S.

I've been using BALLISTOL on most EVERYTHING, wood and leather as well, they say you can even drink it, non toxic, bah! I 've got no intention of trying it.

Sergio
How come this all reminds me of W. C. Fields.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

These medical claims make it sound like a "new age" offering---good for everything--a sign of quackery. Nonetheless, I sleep immersed in a vat of it. I plan to live forever...so far, so good.
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Paladinpainter
User

So that is what the Soviets soaked Lenin in !
Paladinpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Paladinpainter for your post:
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

One thing for sure, Ballistol STINKS!
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
One thing for sure, Ballistol STINKS!
You're dead right, but BALLISTOL apparently contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds; its a nice thing to have around since it is safe on leather, wood, and non toxic but perhaps it doesn't really excel at any one thing.
Still, Hickok45 swears by it and have seen his videos were it's used on top end guns.

Sergio
Unread 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
4 Scale
User

I have some and use it mainly as a light solvent. It seems to have useful qualities for removing other substances, and it does seem to have some lubricating qualities.

I think in the universe of all things mechanical, firearm lubrication is toward the lower end of the performance scale. In other words just about any lubricant will work. I'm not going to use vegetable oil or motor oil on my Lugers, but if I did I suspect they would work fine. I think that's why Hickock45 and other gun owners "swear by" various lubricants. They've always used them and they've always worked.

My guess is that when Ballistol is wet, the acidic/solvent componets help clean, and when those evaporate the mineral oil residue helps lubricate. A different way of repeating Sergio's comment; it lubricates and cleans but not as well as specialty substances for those tasks. But for most people most of the time it's good enough*.

*If in fact the Soviets/their successors hope it will "restore" Lenin, it would appear that so far it is not "good enough" for that application.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 05-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
ugafx4
User

It is the only thing I will let touch my high end 98ks.
ugafx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ugafx4 for your post:
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

I have been using Ballistol for 6 years or so. It is very good for many purposes with firearms. If you investigate its uses you will find the list is very long. I clean leather with it. I clean grips with it. It gives the grips a coloring that I find right for me.
One use I have for it is mixed one part to 10 parts water it is excellent for cleaning black powder.
I also think it helps arthritis-just rub it in.
I don't find the odor offensive.
thanks
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
These medical claims make it sound like a "new age" offering---good for everything--a sign of quackery. Nonetheless, I sleep immersed in a vat of it. I plan to live forever...so far, so good.
Hi,

I really looked into this stuff before I bought five gallons of it off of e-bay about four years ago. I can remember studying the German language site with some interest.

There are two types currently produced, the "Sportsmans' Oil" and the Medical type.

This stuff was developed for the German Army prior to WWI and was used, religiously, through the end of WWII; the CLP of the day, so to speak. Please compare it to what our army issued for gun cleaning at the same time. Wow, it's even biodegradable!!!

If you can get hold of a new can of "Sportsmans' Oil", most of the claims Stoger Oil made above, in the 1920s and 1930s, are still listed in the instructions on the can!!! May be someone can post same.

Yes, the German Army issue stuff was, indeed, used, medically, as described above. Obviously, it had some good medical properties; as some of these poor devils actually lived through its use.

By the way, one of the listed medical uses of it is to calm nervous stomachs. Believe it or not, my web search turned up that Hitler used this stuff, for his various and numerous stomach ailments, through the late 1930s. Now, just try that with a bottle of Cleaner-Rifle Bore, LSA Oil or CLP and see what happens!!!

This stuff is great for cleaning corrosive primer salts and/or black powder residue. It mixes with water, ten to one is about right. The black powder boys call it Moose Milk because of its color.

For Luger lubrication, I still use good old Hoppes' Gun Oil!!!

I hope this helps!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 05-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #12
TheRomanhistorian
User

I like the stuff and use both CLP Breakfree (mostly for hard core cleaning) and Ballistol but I tend to have twice as much Ballistol around as the CLP. I find that the Ballistol, when it dries, is a lot less greasy feeling and yet I know the gun is well lubricated. Plus the scent does grow on you (reminds me of fennel).

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 05-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #13
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Since you gents have filled me in a little about the ingredients, those seemingly wacky claims now actually make some sense. Non-toxic, antiseptic properties, etc. I'll have to check PubMed to see if I can find a study on its efficacy as a "tonic"!
Unread 05-20-2015, 03:05 AM   #14
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Since you gents have filled me in a little about the ingredients, those seemingly wacky claims now actually make some sense. Non-toxic, antiseptic properties, etc. I'll have to check PubMed to see if I can find a study on its efficacy as a "tonic"!

Quite amusing!

Sergio
Unread 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
nukem556
User

CLP....some crook conned the military into buying that junk.. it neither "cleans, lubricates or protects"....it's supposedly a solvent AND a lubricant? Sorry, it can't do both. All I know is the stuff was worse than useless on M-60s and .50cals.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to nukem556 for your post:
Unread 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP Black View Post
I also think it helps arthritis-just rub it in.

thanks
Jack

If it indeed does help with arthritis pain, then I need a barrel of the stuff!! I have never tried this product, but a lot of folks swear by it!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #17
Sieger
User

Quote:
Hi,

It doesn't claim to cure erectile disfunction; but then again, most 18 year old soldiers are not troubled with same.

One of Hitler's long-time health problems was uncontrollable farting!!! Now, I can't believe this stuff would have helped with that!!!

Sieger
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ococker View Post
While looking into Ballistol as a bike chain lubricant I learned that it was developed for the German army in WW I. That could make it a natural for early, or other, Luger care.
Has anyone a helpful comment on this?
Hi,

Midway USA sells this stuff. They also have a comment section after each product.

With over five pages of individual comments 99% rated the product 5 out of 5.

That should give you some independent feedback.

Sieger
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
CLP....some crook conned the military into buying that junk.. it neither "cleans, lubricates or protects"....it's supposedly a solvent AND a lubricant? Sorry, it can't do both. All I know is the stuff was worse than useless on M-60s and .50cals.
Amen!!

CLP replaced LSA Oil for all general functions.

LSA was and is a much better lubricant than CLP.

I was so convinced that I recently bought 10 gallon of it. Being semi-fluid (thick oil), it really stays where it's put, including rifle bores!!!

Sieger
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
nukem556
User

Wow Sieg....you must have cornered the remaining world market for LSA! Yeah, when I was in the infantry, we hoarded the remaining stocks of LSA we could find for the big guns....100 rounds through a Ma Deuce would sling and burn every drop of CLP off and the gun would be running metal against metal.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote