LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
matthewcstll
User

Default 1914 Erfurt

I have a 1914 Erfurt Luger 9mm it has dark brown and black grips that are made of hard plastic. I think that they are balkalite?? Not sure if that is the right way to spell that, but the grips look to be in great shape. No cracks or breaks. All the numbers match even the mag! I have heard that those types of grips are hard to find. I only paid 600. for it, but I took it to an indoor shooting range, and the guy there told me I was nuts for wanting to shoot the gun. He said it was worth about 2000.00, and I should try to take care of it. What is the truth about the plastic grips that I have?? Are they really worth alot of money? If anyone can help me it would be great!!
Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mattsluger.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1024  

matthewcstll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Matt,

Its hard to know where to start with this one. The standard 1914 Erfurt Luger is by far the least common Erfurt model, with only 7,000 4-inch barrel guns manufactured that year. Under normal circumstances it would certainly be a most desirable collection-worthy gun, and certainly not one to shoot.

That being said, there are several things about your gun as pictured which affects this conclusion.

The plastic grips are characteristic of the grips applied to East German VoPo (Volks Polizei) Lugers reworked in the 1950s. The blued trigger, takedown lever, and safety lever speak to its rework status, and the matching magazine looks like it might be a VoPo magazine. Is the mag tube marked 1/2001 ?

Under the circumstances it is a very intriguing gun, but it will take sharp, clear, detailed pictures of all the markings on it to be able to answer your questins in a more substantive manner.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
matthewcstll
User

Dwight,
Thank you for the response to my inquiry about the Luger. Just to start on the rework status, I don't know if it was. i'm sure with all the Luger questions you have heard,or Lugers you have seen you should know. All of the parts on the gun that I can see have the last two numbers on them from the main number, and some sort of gothic letter and what looks to be a crown over it. I don't know how to open it up, and don't think that would be smart anyway! The magazine has p.08 fxo with an eagle with the number 37 under it. The number from the gun body is on the bottom of the magazine. It looks like an over stamp, or a bad slash in the middle of the second number.. I do have a second magazine that has 2/1001 . I only have a camera phone, so the only photos that I can send will be not so great. I will put some more tho. Thank you for all the help.
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Where in Virginia do you live?
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,200 Posts

Hi,

The East-Germans were mainly interested in producing reliable useable pistols, so they tended to give the pistols a good overhaul. Many small parts were changed out, parts numbers changed or X-ed out, new parts fitted, etc...

Some pistols were in good condition to start with and didn't have much parts replaced. Other pistols, having been in service during 2 wars and some 40 years, had more work done.

Many barrels were replaced, an indication is the lack of the original serial number and a lone crown/N proof on the bottom of the barrel.

This page from a DDR 1960's gun manual shows the VoPo version in all it's glory. Note the grips:
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
matthewcstll
User

I live in midlothian VA. right outside of Richmond.
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
matthewcstll
User

Thank you for all the responses about my Luger. I was totaly in the dark about this gun. I don't really know much about these guns, but I have wanted one for a long time. I collect ww2 German gear, and needed a Luger to round out my uniform. Now I need a sniper scope to go on my k98!! I would like to know if the rework status of the pistol makes it less worthy of a Luger? It is my first Luger, and I hope it wont be the last!! Does anyone know where i can find a shooter around $500. or less? Thanks again for all the help!!
Long live Germany, and the Luger!!!!
Matt
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,200 Posts

Hi,

I think the price you paid for it is okay. In it's current configuration it isn't a 2000 dollar gun, so go ahead and shoot it some more. The East-Germans did a great job on getting these pistols going again. VoPo grips are not that expensive and relatively easy to find. They are great shooting grips, I use some myself.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
thegundude
User

You did very well to get this gun for $600. Most all matching shooters are selling for that now. Finding another one for UNDER five bills might not be so easy...

As you've already alluded, there are a lot of people who think that just because one Luger is worth two grand then they all must be. In fact they range from (now) $400 for a POS to a million for a .45 caliber. The nice thing about the .45 is that you can still get plenty of surplus ammo for it...

I'm looking for a 1906, .45 shooter Luger. Artillery, of course...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote