LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 04-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Cool GT's Magazine Tested & Other Revelations...

Today I put GT's Magazine Spring through its paces. As far as feeding, the magazine worked as no other has before. Feeding all sorts of ammo, and lengths, with exceptions. It refused to feed ammo loaded to an overall length of 1.169". Shorter was definitely needed. 1.150" seemed to work just fine, but others did as well, like 1.08" which was a suprise. I also shot many groups that were great, but one stood out. This is the group shown below. I was getting a bit excited by the time I reached number five, which is why it is a bit further out. It is the lower left shot of the group. I believe the improved grouping came about from trying a product called "Final Finish", which is a type of fire lapping. My barrel was extremely rough, with circular marks running the length of the barrel. It was an extremely tiring chore to run a patch through the bore. It was the worst, I've seen. I had read many positive reviews of various fire lapping processes and decided to try one. "Final Finish" has five stages of lapping and they claim you can feel an improvement after just two stages. They were right, after stage two it was smoother. After stage five the barrel was a whole new look and experience at cleaning. It really does clean easier! The group in the picture shows I did the right thing. It was the best of many I shot today. I certainly had several people talking about Lugers after they saw it grouping, and shooting reliably to boot!!! As you can see I'm very happy with todays results. If you got a rough barrel, "Final Finish" is a cheap alternative to fix it up and still keep the orginal barrel...

The load used to make this group consist of 115gr Winchester HP over 8.9gr of AA-7 ignited by Winchester WSP primers. The red dot is 1.5" in diameter...

Unread 04-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Sieger
User

Johnny:

I'm glad you had such good results! When Lugers are functioning properly, they are fantastically accurate!!

I'm not so surprised that the Meg-Gar liked shorter than spec. ammo, as they seem to have been designed to shoot it. I'm going to be doing quite a bit of work with the Meg-Gar mags. on my next vacation to Florida.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Dean
User

I did a google search on "Final Finish barrel lap". Seems to have some pretty good reviews.

I might consider this on my new stainless carbine barrel.

It sure would be nice if they sold the ammo pre-loaded instead of the customer having to handload the coated bullets.