LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-27-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
LugerLizzie
User

Question G Date slide/toggle

I'm new to lugers and this sight, just bought my first, a G date, 9MM . My question is, when I pull back on the slide with an empty magazine the slide locks open (I know as it should), My problem is when I fire live ammo it DOES NOT lock open after the last round is fired. I only no I'm empty when the firing pin dry fires. Needless to say it makes me slighly nervous not to be sure if my gun is empty or not. Is there anything I can do to fix this so that it stays locked open after the last round is fired? what is the cause? Thanks
LugerLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Sir, welcome to the forum. Some possibilities, one is the hold open is worn, second is the ammo isn't powerful enough to kick the bolt back far enough to lock, that can be either the ammo or the mainspring being too strong for that specific ammo. Recommend trying several types of ammo, sometimes a heavier bullet also will help. Its not an uncommon problem. Takes a little shooting with different loads to get the right combination for your gun. Spring replacement kits are relatively inexpensive. Also careful cleaning of the slide and rails and greasing them before shooting also can help.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
LugerLizzie
User

Now I'm really confused, I tried cleaning and oiling the gun first it looked a little dry, then I asked at my nearest gun shop what was the hottest 9MM shells they had. They sold me Fiocchi. It was definitely hotter than the first rounds I put thru the gun (UMC). On the last round in the clip it still didn't lock the slide up. Then I remembered reading a couple of postings on the "Limp Wrist" phenomenon. and guess what! If I really choke up on it, the slide will lock up about 8 out of 10 times. It also appears to be a possibility that my luger is very magazine sensitive. It will only give me the %80 with the original clip, if I use an after market clip I bought it won't lock up at all. I would like to try to get it to 100% with either clip, or at least in the original clip. Does any one else like to have a spare magazine? or is it generally unnecessary??? Thanks------
Unread 09-02-2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
I have one Luger that will function *only* with the magazine that is with it, and not with any others.

So, yes, buy a couple of assorted magazines, or borrow some and see how they work?

I have tried mec gar and triple k, each workjed good in different guns?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
LugerLizzie
User

Well after looking things over, I've noticed that if I pull on the magazine knob, back and forth, while it is engaged in the gun, it has about a 1/4 inch of play. This makes the hold down lever move slightly. Is there anything I can do to make the magazine fit a little tighter? or is this a normal amount of play? I have 1920 commercial that has absolutely no play in the magazine at all, and it operates perfectly 100% of the time. Please help I would like my "g" date to operate as well as my beautiful 1920 commercial.
Unread 09-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

LL, If all the mags that you've tried in your G date are loose, it's possible that the inside of your mag catch has excessive wear or that the flat spring that holds it in, is defective. I have both available in the $5 to $10 range. You might try switching these, one at a time, from your 20 commerical, to see which you need. TH
Unread 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
LugerLizzie
User

Thanks, LD. I'll do a little switching and experimenting as you suggested and get back to you. This sight is really awesome, glad there is somewhere we can get quick, easy answers.
Unread 09-29-2003, 09:59 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Lizzie, Just remember, that the easy answers aren't alway the correct answers. TH
Unread 09-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #9
LugerLizzie
User

Sorry, just the wrong choice of words. Should have used easy suggestions or easy advise.
Unread 01-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
LugerLizzie
User

Well, after taking in all the advise, and a couple of months of experimenting, I think I have my problem solved. After closer inspection I found that my Hold Open had formed a small burr of metal, or lip, as you may that would ever so slightly cause it to drag, or hang up on the notch in the gun handle/body where the hold open bar rests. After some very fine, and very very light filing to remove the burr from the hold open,I now have a "G Date" that fires perfectly with any kind of ammo, 100% of the time. Just thought I would pass it along....