LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Exetik
User

Default New to Lugers....what can be said about this one?

Hello all,

I am new to Lugers, and found one I am interested in. I may be working a trade for it, but would like to know a bit about it and it's approximate value, as I have very little knowledge of Lugers except what I have read on the net. I have always wanted one, and I am trying to avoid the impulse until I know what I can about it.

Anyways, here are some pics...tell me all you can about this pistol. Thanks!

Here is the information the owner gave me

Quote:
the luger , well its a old gun ,true war era , not a commercial copy , its in very good mechanical cond , the blueing is rubbed off a good bit but no pitting , i was ammasing a wwii display collection and obtained it for that purpose , i havent ever fired it , has the original wood ended magazine w it, no holster , very nice collectors piece, appraised and sevearl gun shops from low 1200.00 to a high of 1500.00

Exetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

It appears to be a very common Alphabet "1920" commercial. The "appraised value" is $400-$500 too high for the condition. Alphabet commercials in 99% condition can be found for $1000-$1200. The problem with gun shop appraisals is that 90% of dealers don't know anything about Lugers, or their values.

Is it marked "GERMANY" anywhere? Many thousands of these were imported for commercial sale in the 20's. Most were in .30 Luger caliber, and the ammo is expensive.

Welcome to the forum.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Exetik
User

I do not see Germany anywhere, just the DWM logo on the top. I have done some research and see no nazi markings as the seller originally claimed:

Quote:
GERMAN LUGERVERY OLD, NAZI MARKINGS (NOT COMMERCIAL)
I suspect it is in .30 Luger, but I have asked for clarification. That being said, I think based on your information that I will probably decline this deal. Thanks for the quick response!
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

It's clearly not a military or "Nazi" marked pistol. Some Alphabet commercials were pressed into service, however most were in 9mm, or rebarreled to 9mm. The military or police never used the .30 Luger / 7.65 Parabellum cartridge. The Crown N is a commercial proof.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. We will help you as much as possible in finding a correct example. For an appraisal, all we ask is for many clear photos of all markings and any flaws, full views of sides, top, grip straps, etc.

Best of luck...

Unread 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Exetik
User

Thanks again! From the research I conducted before I posted, I found out that the proof mark on the receiver and barrel were a commercial proof. I have seen enough Luger's to at least know to look for the nazi markings. Im not sure why the seller would tell me there were nazi markings, and then show me pictures that show no nazi markings, but eh, who knows.

I am not real picky; but the item I have for trade is worth more to me than the Luger, and you helped me figure that out.

That being said, there are a ton of markings and different variations out there, so I certainly appreciate this resource as a translation of some of these markings.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Ron Smith
User

The best thing to do, is to determine which variation (maker, model and time period) you are most interested in, and concentrate on that particular variation. DWM,Erfurt,Mauser etc.

And / or, WWI, Weimar or WWII etc. It makes it much easier to get a grasp of what to look for.

Unread 12-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Exetik
User

Okay

What can be said about this one? Estimated value? Thanks!

Unread 12-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

How about a couple fo ground rules;

1. Post pictures here; not photobucket
2. Give us info, if you'd like to help, we need to know; is it all matching? What is the serial number?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
LugerVern
User

Most everyone has a budget they want to stay under, or they are looking for a Luger as a collectible or one to shoot, so a good step is to tell us what your trying to accomplish.

We will gladly help you get a fair deal for your money.

Lugers vary widely in prices, we don't want to reject a gun that might be exactly what your after.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

I would bet this one is reblued.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
Exetik
User

Unfortunately I do not have much info on it, thats why I was posting here...so I could get some info. Here is what I have:

Quote:
LUGER IN 9MM ,AS I SAID ITS A MUCH LATER PRODUCTIN , "COMMERCIAL " PROD , NOT WAR TIME ERA , POST WAR COMMERCIAL IS WHAT THEY CALL IT, ITS BLUEING IS VERY INTACT AND NEVER ABUSED OR EVEN USED MUCH AT ALL ITS IN REALLLY GOOD CONDITON, COMES W ONLY ONE MAG , NAZI EAGLE PROOF ,MARKED 71, NUMBERED 5516 AND PARTS ARE NUMBERED 16 SO ITS A MATCHING NUMBERED PIECE GUN , 1938 ON TOP STRAP ,AND S/42 ON BOLT
I prefer photobucket. I have not had any issues with it yet. Is there a better alternative? It's just a photo host after all.

Money is really right around 850-950 or so. I do not know much about Luger's but im looking for a shooter, not a collectors piece. I can't let one of these sit in a case when I could be shooting it =]

Any additional info on that model above is welcomed. I can probably provide a higher res picture if it cannot be read well.
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #12
MFC
User

It was made in 1938 (date on chamber). S/42 is the military code (not commercial) for Mauser.
The sideplate looks like it's stamped 91. Don't let anyone tell you it's an upsidedown 16. I can't make out the numbers on the takedown lever, but it doesn't look like 16. You would also need to check internal parts numbers.
Like Jerry said, it looks like it's been reblued. IMO it's worth $500-$600.