LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
grahamricks
New User

Default Help With My 1st Luger

I just purchased my first Luger and I am wanting some information about it. The toggle and bolt assembly do not match, and the sideplate does not match, but everything else does. I know the grips are not original. The Waffenamt's on the side are marked 63 under both. The underside of the barrel has a faint mark and I can only make out a 2. The guy I bought it from said that the two waffenamts with the 63 is supposed to signify a rare model.

I was also wondering, even though the toggle assembly doesnt have matching numbers, is it the correct type "S/42" for my luger?

any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

grahamricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the forum, Graham,

Looks like you have a mismatched 1939. The SE/63 (stick winged eagle 63) was used from late 1937 to early 1940. The Eagle swastika test proof (LTP or late test proof) came into use in late 1939. Serials # 1R to 6000r. The last block of that year.

I can't quite make out the letter suffix. Old eyes. Is that an 'R'? Anyway early in 1939 the S/42 code changes to a plain 42. So if yours is an R suffix w/ late test proof, there were about 6000 of them made, but the toggle should have been just '42'

There are folks here who can be more exact.

FN

Last edited by FNorm; 09-10-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: sp
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
grahamricks
New User

the suffix appears to be a "V" according to the resources on this site. which would make the number 4121V
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome to the site and Nice shooter!
Your gun has been refinished with some sort of apoxy compound, which lays thicker on metal than the standard blueing. Good protection for a shooter!

Last edited by alanint; 09-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
grahamricks
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Welcome to the site and Nice shooter!
Your gun has ben refinished with some sort of apoxy compound, which lays thicker on metal than the standard blueing. Good protection for a shooter!
thanks! i bought this for the purpose of shooting it. I have an assortment of other WWII shooters and I take them out a lot...

I just couldn't pass this deal up when it came to me. I traded a Yugo 24/47 Mauser and $250 cash for it, altogether I have less than $500 in it.
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Good price for a shooter. Now break it down and clean thoroughly.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/search/luger/

Careful with the left grip. If you lift the base too high you can chip the top around the safety lever. I push it up from the inside, then rotate the base of the grip forward.
Especially clean the inside of the breech block and inside the firing pin. Under the extractor is a place most people miss.

If the barrel is crudded up, clean and brush from the breech. Take it to the range and do like a new rifle barrel. Shoot one, swab, shoot one swab. Go through a magazine then swab and brush. Repeat as necessary. Even well worn luger barrels generally shoot well.

Folks here have found the the Winchester white box, 115 gr. works best. Walmart usually carries it. Lugers like a longer COL. In the 1.160-1.170 range.

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote