LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-11-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
Jon
User

Default re : lurking in the bottom of my holster

good morning , i just noticed last nite a white colored object in the bottom of my luger holster. upon removal it is a fine piece of linen, is this standard ? proberly not ,please post a reply .thanks jon

Unread 08-11-2001, 11:02 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default Re: re : lurking in the bottom of my holster

Jon, Yes this was very common for the German soldier to do. I repair dozens of Luger holsters and invariably this wadded piece of cloth will appear in the bottom of the barrell section when I take the holster apart. I cannot know for sure why it was done and one can only speculate but it might have been done to take pressure off the lifting strap, stop the pistol from moving around or bouncing while running or to slightly lift the pistol in the holster...Anyone else have any ideas? Jerry

Unread 08-11-2001, 02:25 PM   #3
MikeP
User

I have a pretty decent brown 1915 artillery holster that has a hole worn thru where the muzzle rode-wish somebody had crammed a rag down that

Unread 08-11-2001, 02:44 PM   #4
Marvin
User

jon,

I agree with what Jerry said that it was to "lift" the pistol as little to help remove it from the holster without using the lifting strap. One piece I pulled from a holster was the rope like material that was in a K98k cleaning kit used for cleaning the bore. Maybe it had a dual purpose to raise the pistol and they could use it for cleaning the bore.

Marvin

Unread 08-11-2001, 03:29 PM   #5
BILL
User

I pulled a little old rag out of a WWII Nambu holster bottom. It had been there for many years. My thoughts at the time (don't ask me why, now that I think of it,) was to absorb any oil that was used to maintain the functionality of the gun. I guess I just thought of what a hassle it would be for an officer to have to change his uniform because some oily holster tip was rubbing against his dress pants. (There is no lifting strap in the Nambu holster so it wasn't for that). Anyone here carry a semi in a holster that they have actually stuffed a rag into? If so, why did you do it?

Unread 08-11-2001, 08:57 PM   #6
Jon
User

very interesting, thing you learn while having fun . thanks guys

Unread 08-13-2001, 11:04 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default I think you guys forgot one obvious use...

These pistols were carried in a hardshell holster. I think that in addition to the uses you have speculated, this material was also used to keep the "nose" end of the holster from getting flattened or dented when the pistol was removed...

Depending on the quantity of material, it could also be used for wiping down the pistol since as someone already susggested, the lubricating oil that was applied to the Luger would have a tendency to deposit itself on this little rag...

my $0.02

-John

Unread 08-13-2001, 04:40 PM   #8
doc63

Default Re:lurking in the bottom of my holster

I think the best answer is the use of a plug to keep the pistol high enough in the holster to extract it with the pull-up device. It also protected the muzzle from chemical reaction with the holster if it became damp.