LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Georgesd
User

Default need a gunsmith in NJ shore area

Recently bought a 1939 42 code Luger. Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith near the New Jersey shore to inspect my Luger before I fire it?
Also I have heard that you should not shoot a Luger with original grips but rather replace them with reproductions. Is this recommended?
I appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks,
George
Georgesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

George,

The recommendation of grip replacement is a valid one. Remember that the wood used in the grips is much more subject to deterioration than the metal. The grips are 70+ years old and likely very dry and brittle. Even if they are okay on firing, an accidental drop could be fatal to the grips. I recommend buying some reproduction grips for shooting.

As far as a a gunsmith in NJ, I wish I could help you, but I personally don't know any there. Perhaps one of our members from NJ might see your post, and offer to check it out for you.

If you could post some good quality photographs and tell us a little about the gun's ownership history, we might be able to determine whether or not the gun is safe to fire. For instance, if the gun has been in the possession of the soldier who brought it back as a trophy after WW2 and has not been modified, then the gun is likely just fine...

I invite you to post photos and tell us about all the markings on the gun. That may help.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Georgesd
User

Thanks John,
I will post photos but have been having difficulty uploading. Not sure if the problem is with me or the site. I'll keep trying.
George
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Georgesd
User

Default need a gunsmith in NJ shore area

Thanks all. I have what appears to be a good reference from 2 local pistol ranges.
George