LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
barr44
User

Default Recently acquired Artillery Luger?

I have recently acquired a 1917 DWM artillery luger. The pistol is in good shape with the bore being very good, deep grooves and shiny lands. The gun probably retains about 85% of the original bluing with some brown patina in areas. All of the parts no. match except for the sideplate which looks to be of the same age as the rest of the gun but has an off number on the bottom edge like you find on the commercial guns. The takedown lever is strawed but un-numbered. The magazine is of the correct tin-plated with the wooden bottom but it's no. doesn't match the number of the gun. I'm assuming that the takedown lever and sideplate have been replaced at some time. The grips are not numbered but they do have waffen marks, looks to be 655. Could the grips be original to the gun or more likely have been changed at a later date?
If this gun were used by the army in WWII, would they have put the acceptance marks of the time on it? The only acceptance marks on the gun itself are those from the WWI time frame.
As always, I would appreciate any info which you folks would care to extend to me. It seems that the more I learn about these guns the less I seem to know!
Thanks, barr.
barr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,082 Posts

barr, if there was a "reason" to accept it, then it was accepted; i.e. repair, rework or used bu a unit that required required it.

Many Imperial and Weimar era guns never received any acceptance or proof markings.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote