LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
FairviewGuns
User

Default Is it reblued?

I have a consigned Luger that the owner is sure is original. He says he is the second owner of the gun and the first owner purchased it new and kept it in a safety deposit box. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination on Lugers. I know the commercial guns were assembled using parts originally ment for military guns. If any of you can help please do.

Thanks, Kevin

FairviewGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Kevin,

Welcome to The Lugerforum.

This Luger is commercial in origin because it is not numbered in the military style. It has been reblued because the safety, trigger and takedown lever are blued, and they should have been strawed (or golden colored) when this gun was made. There are also mall pits in the metal that are under the blue. All blued guns happened during a wartime change in 1937 to save costs and increase production. This gun was likely produced in the late 20's or early 1930's. It appears that the grips have been coated with shellac... this is not a factory finish for the grips.

The script letter "e" that appears under the serial number on the barrel and should also appear under the serial number on the front of the frame above the trigger guard is a part of the serial number. It distinguishes which production run that this Luger was part of.

With the exception of being reblued, the Luger appears in very nice condition.

I hope this has been helpful. If you have any questions not already answered, ask away and we will try to answer them for you.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
FairviewGuns
User

Thanks for the information. As I said I am no expert on Lugers and this is only the third one I have had in my shop. Any idea on the value of the gun. The Blue Book does not have a subtract this % if reblued listed on this gun. Thanks for all your help, Kevin.
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,082 Posts

Kevin, reblues are going for shooter prices, I would guess around $600, intially in the store, i would state it is a reblued, abd maybe ask a bit more.

makles a difference if it is 9mm luger or 7.65mm (30 luger).

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I concur on Ed's value estimate... around $600 plus or minus what the buyer will bear. Good Luck on the sale. Offer it here on the free classifieds. Remember that this gun is considered C&R by the ATF... and can be sold directly to a C&R license holder.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
MFC
User

Kevin and John,
The letter suffix is an "l". The start of adding suffix's to commercial Lugers started with the "i" suffix. The classification of this variation is "DWM alphabet commercial". It was made in 1923 according to Still's Weimar Lugers.
Mike C.
Unread 05-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
FairviewGuns
User

Great information, thanks all of you.