LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Redcoat3340
User

Default People Looking for "Shooters"

I belong to a bunch of other boards (probably like most folks here)....S&W, Walther, Sig, Beretta, 1911, plus general boards as well ala High Road.

I'm noticing that here there seem to be more people looking for "shooter grade" guns than on any of those other forums.

Maybe because the other boards encompass modern, currently produced pistols, maybe because P 08s command such high prices, and maybe because everyone wants at least one in the safe but can't afford collector grade prices.

Anyone else notice this? (And yes, I'm pretty new to the board having just made the decision to add a P08 to the "collection."

So, before I jump into the deep end of the pool (and sell some safe queens to finance a P08) I've ordered a couple of books, am reading here every day (sometimes twice a day), checking the For Sale section, about to make the rounds of LGSs in the Seattle area, and have my prime LGS on the lookout.

I've got a few good guns...a couple of "classics" like a P38/P1, P5, P4, CZ 75, BHP etc. A Luger is the one gun I never thought I could afford....but I'm hoping that shooting one would be a semi-transcendental experience and just having one will give me the same feeling I had when I purchased my first Finn Mosin, WWI Mauser, and Enfield P14...that is, the experience of touching history.
Redcoat3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

The Puyallup gun show is a real good one to go to just because are so many tables. But you do not see a lot of Lugers at any gun shows in Tacoma or Seattle area at least when I lived there a number of years ago, although I'm from Washington state but the dry side.

On line or Luger collectors is a good bet.

The problem is that the cheapest shooter is about $600, if incredibly lucky, almost always closer to $800+ depending on why it's a shooter?
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Olle
User

I don't doubt that some see shooters as a cheaper alternative, but I believe the main reason is that Lugers are good shooting guns. They can really hold their own at the range, and like somebody said: "you can get $2000 worth of accuracy out of a $1000 gun".
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post
I'm noticing that here there seem to be more people looking for "shooter grade" guns than on any of those other forums.

Maybe because the other boards encompass modern, currently produced pistols, maybe because P 08s command such high prices, and maybe because everyone wants at least one in the safe but can't afford collector grade prices.
That's good observation. I guess it's related with price shock. It takes a while to get used to many nice/rare C&R price range. Yesterday, I visited my old working place, sitting on the same table with some old colleagues at lunch. One of them play guns too, just bought a SIG 320. Another guy was interested in 98K rifle, curious on price level, etc. I am sure both of them could afford much more expensive items, but they don't think so and they only play shooters. After all, not many items in daily life cost a few thousand dollars a piece.. you can count.

One way to get used to price is trading these. If an item comes at a few thousand dollars, and it can also go at a few thousand dollars, it's OK. After a while, people will get used to that. I doubt they would go that path, even if they do, it takes time though. Long way to go. Some new collectors get "killed" early due to spending big bucks on misrepresented guns which only has shooter value. That quickly turns them off.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Wastoute
User

I can only speak for myself but I am interested in a "shooter" and for decades felt it was just a fantasy never to be fulfilled. Now, it may be within the range of a "dream come true". I am not so worried about "spending too much" (within reason) but I am not a "collector" and would have no intention of owning a weapon I did not shoot. What I do want to avoid is acquiring a nice Luger and discovering too late that it was a "collectible" and I risked damaging something that should have been in a museum or something.
Wastoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
alvin
User

If not dedicated to Luger, collecting a few Lugers can be very easy. You won't need care those split-hair differences among variations, just need two with distinctive difference in appearance: a 4" Army, and a 8" artillery. That's it. Nice ones will cost a few thousand though. But in C&R, that's actually normal expense. Two for looking, one for shooting.. the shooting one can be anything. No need to chase rare ones, rare ones are for those collectors having established collection looking for very specific items, not for non-dedicated collectors of that domain.

Same is applicable to other C&Rs. If you're not a dedicated C96 collector, for example, getting a Red 9 or M1930 should be good enough. No need to chase those rare ones. Playing this way, the cost will be very controllable.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Right now, a number of collections are starting to be marketed out of estates.

While many of these may be high grade collector guns, those that buy them may be upgrading ones in their current collections. Those upgraded guns will come onto the marketplace, and some of them will be less expensive guns in the "shooter" category (mismatched, refinished, finish issues, etc...).

As long as they are mechanically reliable they will make good acquisitions.

Keep checking dealers, auctions (not just GunBroker, but the auction houses that specialize in Lugers) and online sites like LugerForum. You'll find something that will satisfy your need.

The market fluctuates from time to time because of supply and demand, as well as things like auction competition. When there is only one buyer at an auction, the price is generally lower than market. When there are two committed buyers, the price can reach truly amazing levels.
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
Major Tom
User

My first 'shooter' cost me $1000, but it was in incredible good condition with numbers matching. Finish is about 75% but is reliable and accurate.
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Sky Zero
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Right now, a number of collections are starting to be marketed out of estates.

While many of these may be high grade collector guns, those that buy them may be upgrading ones in their current collections. Those upgraded guns will come onto the marketplace, and some of them will be less expensive guns in the "shooter" category (mismatched, refinished, finish issues, etc...).

As long as they are mechanically reliable they will make good acquisitions.

Keep checking dealers, auctions (not just GunBroker, but the auction houses that specialize in Lugers) and online sites like LugerForum. You'll find something that will satisfy your need.

The market fluctuates from time to time because of supply and demand, as well as things like auction competition. When there is only one buyer at an auction, the price is generally lower than market. When there are two committed buyers, the price can reach truly amazing levels.

which estates are you referring to?? I need to go head that way! I have 2 shooters and I would like to start on some nice collector grade imperials or 3rd Reich lugers. that guy in Michigan who was selling 250 lugers said he found one buyer for all of them, which sucks because he lives within driving distance of me
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I know that one estate has a for sale ad on this site now. Many of the auction houses have been handling Lugers from estates too. From Sturgess' collection through unnamed owners with unique collections (a bunch of Portuguese Lugers sold a couple of weeks ago).

They are hammer down auction houses with live in person auctions that are extended by online bidding. The process is imperfect, and some of the buyer premiums are frankly excessive, but there are some interesting buys to be had.

Patience and some looking around will help you get a feel for what is coming on the market.

Rock Island Auction
Carol Watson's Orange County Auctions
Cowan's Auction
James D. Julia Auctioneers
just to name a few.

If you're going to go the auction route, take some time to just observe them. Set an absolute maximum you're willing to spend (after considering the shippng and buyer's premium - which can be significant), and don't get caught up in the emotions of bidding.
Unread 05-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
Sky Zero
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
I know that one estate has a for sale ad on this site now. Many of the auction houses have been handling Lugers from estates too. From Sturgess' collection through unnamed owners with unique collections (a bunch of Portuguese Lugers sold a couple of weeks ago).

They are hammer down auction houses with live in person auctions that are extended by online bidding. The process is imperfect, and some of the buyer premiums are frankly excessive, but there are some interesting buys to be had.

Patience and some looking around will help you get a feel for what is coming on the market.

Rock Island Auction
Carol Watson's Orange County Auctions
Cowan's Auction
James D. Julia Auctioneers
just to name a few.

If you're going to go the auction route, take some time to just observe them. Set an absolute maximum you're willing to spend (after considering the shippng and buyer's premium - which can be significant), and don't get caught up in the emotions of bidding.
Cool, thanks! I don't see an estate sale here though; the one i mentioned earlier with the guy from michigan is unavailable for sales, so not sure if thats what you were referring to or the person over on the other board.
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote