LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
johnnv
User

Default refinish or not?

This is my matching 1914 Erfurt that some of the finish is turning. I guess patina is a natural aging process but it just doesn't look good on this piece. I have never refinished any of my collectables but I'm wondering if this Erfurt should be the exception. I think about it's value and originality or just leave it alone and quit worrying about it. What do you guys think?

johnnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

A 1914 Erfurt P08 is a rare pistol. I think you make a mistake to refinish it as a future potential owner might be justified in questioning the originality of the whole piece.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
DougT
User

johnnv,
Definitely do not "refinish it". Instead, have Thor RESTORE it, and I guarantee you the gun you get back will be the apple of your eye. I had Thor restore my 1917 Erfurt, and it is an absolute joy to behold. I am in the process of building my Luger collection from Thor restored guns. If you have any doubt, I suggest you go to Ted's Luger Strawing Service website and look at the before and after photos.
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Stu
User

I think George has a very valid point and if the gun has no significant corrosion you might just want to preserve it as the piece of history that it is.

On the other hand if the actual metal surfaces have deteriorated much the Thor option is very valid. It's not easy to see from the pictures how much actual surface damage has occurred.

My Thor restored 1916 Erfurt is a wonderful gun. You can't over-estimate the quality of the work he does.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
johnnv
User

There is no corrosion or pitting at all on the metal, only some typical holster wear on the high points. I didn't know there was a difference between refinish and restoring these guns.
I appreciate everyone's comments...thanks.
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
DougT
User

johnnv, I'm sorry--I just can't resist, so I'm gonna 'splain it to you: When you have your Erfurt "refinished" by the local Bubba gunsmith, he salt blues it (incorrect finish), then buffs it to death (rounding all the sharp edges) and then hands it back to you permanently ruined. When Thor RESTORES it, he uses smoke and mirrors, pixie dust and all kinds of other wonderful Luger magic to bring your gun (as nearly as is possible) back to the condition it was in the day it left the Royal Erfurt Arsenal. He will apply the correct rust blue finish, renew the straw finished and fire blued parts (all correctly), and make any pitting, scratches, dings and other bobo's simply disappear. He also sends the grips to the grip wizard, and when you see them on the gun again you won't believe your eyes. What I enjoy most about my Thor restored guns is watching people's jaws drop the first time I had them one. Try it--you'll like it!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Craig
User

In addition to all of the magic Thor does he also sends it to another wizard called Bill Adair in Texas that can restore all of the lettering. Between both of these guys they have brought back three guns of mine (one was almost a wall hanger) to just like it left the factory.
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
johnnv
User

When I said I didn't know their was a difference between refinish and restore I was talking about the meaning of the words (I didn't know if they were interchangeable). Believe me, for what I have to pay for a "correct" gun it will never reach Bubba's workbench. Thanks for the reply Doug...
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Regardless of who does the job (restore/refinish) it will diminish the value of your 1914 Erfurt. If you have no concerns for the pistol as an investment and only want it to look better then Ted Green is the best guy to do the job. As I stated above, the 1914 Erfurt P08 is a rare pistol. If you want a pretty pistol sell the 1914 and buy another Erfurt wartime pistol and have Ted restore it. You should still have a couple of hundred bucks to put in your pocket after all costs.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
johnnv
User

George,
Your point is well taken and I think it's the way I've always felt. This gun goes back into the safe the way it is. Thanks again to all who took the time to respond.
John
Unread 04-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
trigger643
User

this one I would leave alone

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote