LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Default eBAy commercial mag

This mag went for $202. Is it because it is an early commercial?
If so, what is the feature distinguishing it from a 1920 commercial mag?

Thanks!

Clark

http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayIS...vip=true&rt=nc

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

This looks like a standard commercial magazine to me. The "Germany" on the bottom makes it a bit scarcer but not $200 worth.

The thing with Ebay is that you have a very mixed bag of people bidding on any given item, from experts to clueless.

All it takes is two uninformed bidders who don't know of an alternative source for an item to bid it into the stratosphere.

A seller can also glean from the private inquiries how knowledgeable a potential buyer is, then have a buddy shill for the house and bid an item up, after telling the potential buyer how rare the item is.

A good percentage of these "sales" also fall through, when a buyer realises he overbid and pulls out, (or when the seller's "Shill" ends up "owning" the item by outbidding once too often).

Unlike established auction houses, Ebay is no way to determine an item's current market value.
I always laugh when a seller tells me "That's what they are going for on Ebay!"
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Doug..It's always fun to talk about eBay ..they certainly have their pro's and con's. There is merit to what you say and then there is the other side..an astute buyer can find many bargains there too. Some of the bigger bargains I have ever gotten have been off of eBay.

I can't explain the pricing on the mag Clark shows..It very well could be a combination of what you say above. I cannot find many redeeming values in this particular magazine. The finish is very poor.

All this notwithstanding I have to say I am delighted the eBay idiots who write policy decided to come to their senses and once again allow 10 round magazines to be sold. It's the right thing to do. Ebay has been trying to destroy itself since it's inception with stupid decisions and complexity. It used to be fun to buy and sell...

"That's what they are going for on Ebay!" The fact of the matter is ... often times things DO bring a higher price on eBay. BUT consider that with all of eBay's fees etc. they carve off 10% to 20% of the highest price..INCLUDING shipping!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I agree Jerry. I was only describing the smart seller, stupid buyer side of it. Now the smart buyer and stupid, (uninformed) seller is a whole 'nother animal...!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote