LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default I Was Wondering?

The Last and first time I fired a luger was awesome. A Spiritual Experience, indeed!! I noticed an employee scooping up spent pounds of brass. I wondered, Do they more more on hourly fees or the brass goldmine? I will check on the going price of virgin raw brass!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brasss 006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	66473  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

$1.43/Lb Beat shoveling snow! http://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-pr...-scraps/26/1/1
Unread 05-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Most ranges "own" any and all brass that hits the floor. Employees are usually paid by the hour- so they don't benefit from the brass. At least that is the way it is around here.
Unread 05-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
The Last and first time I fired a luger was awesome. A Spiritual Experience, indeed!! I noticed an employee scooping up spent pounds of brass. I wondered, Do they more more on hourly fees or the brass goldmine? I will check on the going price of virgin raw brass!
Hi Eric
That's the thing about virginity, it can only be lost once. All that brass on the range floor? It's no longer "virgo intacta", as you lawyers like to say.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Merci, Res Ipsa Loquitor, "The facts speak for them selves"
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Tom
User

I scrounge brass at our range. I keep for myself the ones I may need in the future and the rest go into the scrap bucket. Once a year I take a 5 gallon bucket full to the scrap yard and get anywhere from $35-50. When law enforcement has a shoot is when I get a really large amount of brass. Some of the LEOs will even help me pick it up.
Unread 05-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Range policies differ. Most ranges will allow you to pick up YOUR OWN brass and take it home. Indiscriminate scrounging for brass is usually frowned upon, at least where I shoot.

Back in Miami, I was once shooting a 1911 for score, working toward The Camp Perry matches. We were so meticulous, that we would actually draw chalk outlines of our footwear, to insure that we always took the same stance. As I looked down to make sure I was within the outlines, I see an arm come between my legs to pick up one of my .45 cases!! Talk about disconcerting! The culprit was a notorious scrounger who made side money "commercially reloading" for a lot of the local shooters on a budget. He was eventually banned from the range.

Locally, we called people like him "br***holes".
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

At our club range, we're welcome to help cleanup. Of course, it's not a commercial range open to the public...

I usually come home with more brass for reloading than I shoot that day. It's one of the benefits of being part of a club.
Unread 05-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I am lazy, I seldom pick up my brass. Since I don't reload presently and have a bunch of brass, I simply don't desire to srounge through the grass for it.

But I do like the freedom of the range close to my house.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

[QUOTE=alanint;303572]Range policies differ. Most ranges will allow you to pick up YOUR OWN brass and take it home. Indiscriminate scrounging for brass is usually frowned upon, at least where I shoot.

This ^^^^^ is how it works at the indoor range that I shoot at. I have been shooting there for sooooo long, and they all know that I am a reloader, that they pay me no attention. I do sometimes end up with more than I shot, but it is a challenge to recover ALL of YOUR brass....especially the 30 Luger brass!! Some of it just hides in places unknown to me.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
I am lazy, I seldom pick up my brass. Since I don't reload presently and have a bunch of brass, I simply don't desire to srounge through the grass for it.

But I do like the freedom of the range close to my house.
Ed, my range is in the side yard, and I had a problem with about 15-20% brass loss in the grass. I've kept it mowed with the deck on the second lowest setting, and what was once a span of brass-eating foliage is making a transition to moss. As the proportion of moss increases, it's more like a green carpet with short nap. These days I might miss an empty or two when I pick up after shooting a couple dozen rounds, but often as not, I get it all back--plus some that went undiscovered before!

The optimal surface would be a wide alley of prepared, level ground with a putting green variety of grass on top.
Unread 05-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

When shooting in the same grassy spot on a regular basis, I just brought out a canvas tarp to stand on. No brass has a chance to hide. Those blue tarps you see on roofs would work well today.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Doug, I'd need a pretty big tarp to be universally helpful. Since I'm shooting different guns, the landing zones for the brass vary with the guns' different ejection behaviors, and the bearings and distances from where I'm standing are all over the place. If I'm shooting my Thompson or M1 Carbine, I'll use a tarp because I'm usually set up back farther than for pistol shooting, on more standard length and texture of lawn. and it helps a lot. But for the trampled/mowed area, my recovery success is sufficient to forgo the hassle of messing with the tarp. If I decide to shoot, I can just go out and do it.

A while ago, before the grass was somewhat tamed, I fiddled with a screened structure made from old sliding door screens. It had a roof and a right hand side and was mounted on a parts rack on wheels I used to use for spray painting small things I could suspend form it. A small tarp on the ground completed the setup. I was still amazed both by how the brass could hide, and how different pistols' ejection groupings could somehow circumvent whatever capturing power was created.

I have a metal detector that I tuned to brass cases, but since this was basically a farm, the false positives made it not viable.

Everyone else with a similar range probably has an approach to the problem of disappearing brass, and I'd be interested in hearing about them and how they work.