LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 02-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
tblazerss
User

Default help identifying my new luger

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the luger thing but am very interested in the history around these handguns. I've just purchased a luger that I'm having alot of trouble identifying. It's a dwm serial #9118 with a g code and one that one the identifications had a ? mark for information. All but two numbers match to the whole pistol, it the shoulder stock tangs made in the drip, dark brown plastic grips, very good straw color on a parts that are supposed to be and has been refinished at some time in its life. It has a aluminum mag with different #'s. I would like to get a idea of what I've just gotten. I paid $750 for it off of gunbroker but was located in my home town. I'm looking to further my collection(have been doing the colt thing) wanted my first to be a shooter but want my next to be alittle more to the collector grade side so any suggestions in that area would be nice also. I've kinda been thinking of one in nazi area so tell me what you guys think.
Thanks Billy
tblazerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome, Billy,

You really need to post photos of your gun in order to get a decent opinion from the board.
Do your grips have a small bulleye in the middle?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
tblazerss
User

No there are a very dark brown nothing like my colt gov or lw commander. I finally got to shot it yesterday(b-day was friday) and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED!!!!. It came up very natural to point of aim like a part of your arm. Recoil wasn't bad and was alot more controllable than my daewoo dp51. I'll be posting some pics of the luger but have had a smile from ear to ear every since I picked her up. One thing I have noticed so far is the luger people seem to be very nice and open with information and help.
I'm not a rice guy but enjoy my firearms very much(my place of peace) as I am interested in suggestions to what I should look for and where to look other than g/broker for my next addition.
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
alanint
User

Although your pistol is a shooter those grips may be valuable. A couple of nice photos of all the markings, serial number and details of the gun will help in determining what you have.

Many of the members offer pistols in the "for sale" section at very fair prices. The experts here will be glad to advise you prior to your next purchase.

Good luck!
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
tblazerss
User

ok sorry I just put the pics in the attachment a am hoping I got it right. I can program a metric motorcycle computer but have a heck of a time doing these types of things on a compluter. The mag to the pistol is aluminum #37 with a fxo over it on the bottom a #37 on top of the mag and there is the german proof mark over each of the #37's. Let me know what you all think when you see the pics. Please I hope I did all this and you can see em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110216190657.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	17359  

Attached Images

Unread 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Billy,

The pictures did post correctly.

The Eagle over 37 ( E/37) marking is the inspector's WaAmt acceptance stamp on the magazines. It is a WW-II era Haenel Schmeisser manufactured magazine.

Lugers are remarkable pistols. Now that you've shot yours, you have a feeling for the difference as compared to other designs.

We'd need sharper photographs to be of much help identifying things. Take them using indirect light (without flash) and use a tripod.

Cheers!

Marc
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
alanint
User

By the way, your grips do not appear to be plastic but look like heavily varnished wood. From the wide, course chequering they appear to be after-market which were "antiqued" in an attempt to make them look old and original