LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 04-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
H0B0 J0E
New User

Default First Post - Need Help With American Eagle

Hello!

I recently inherited an American Eagle Luger from my father. It was given to him by his Uncle, who in turn received it as a gift.

I have experience with handguns, but I am completely ignorant about this beautiful handgun. Here's what I can tell you:

1. It is 9mm;

2. The toggle has the scripted "DWM" stamp;

3. The top of the chamber has the American Eagle stamp;

4. The barrel length is 4.75";

5. The serial number is "6172";

6. It has a grip safety;

7. It has a safety lever with safe being the uppermost position;

8. The opposite end of the take down lever is marked "72";

9. The area just below the rear site has a small "15" stamp;

10. The crescent trigger is silver in colour;

11. It has beautiful checkered grips that my father made (truly, a work of art), but I also have the original grips which are light in colour (I can see the word "GERMANY" on the inside of the grips);

12. I have three magazines. Two look like they are phosphated and they have metal bottoms. The other is blued and has a wood bottom.

13. I have what I think is the original leather holster;

14. I can see no other markings; and

15. I have a small "tool" (I have seen pictures of this tool displayed with other Lugers) but I have no idea what it is).

I can take photos if that would help, but I really don't even know what images or information would be useful.

Can anyone tell me anything about this beautiful handgun?

P.S. The bluing looks excellent to me - but what do I know...
H0B0 J0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
MFC
User

Joe,
Pictures please. From your desciption you may have a M1900 Test Eagle (very desirable). Check the caliber, it should be 7.65mm, not 9mm.
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

A serial number of 6172 and a barrel length of 4.75" makes it a Model 1900, and falls into the US Test Trials serial number range as MFC indicated. It is impossible, given what you have posted, that it is originally 9mm. The "GERMANY" marked grips would not be original to the gun, as US Test Lugers were not so marked. The magazines, as you have described them, are not correct for such a Luger.
I suspect that you do indeed have a mis-matched US Test Luger, but photos are absolutely essential to further identification. Photos of the markings, specifically the serial numbers externally and internally, the original grips (same deal...inside and outside), several overall views of the gun (left, right, top, bottom, barrel markings) and a few views of the holster are good starters. You may have a sleeper.
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
H0B0 J0E
New User

I just measured the bore at the end of the barrel and it is 9mm - perhaps this has been retrofitted?

Apologies in advance, but here are a few quick and dirty photos taken from a cell phone (very poor quality):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	6086  

Name:	Left Side.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	6087  

Name:	Blurry DWM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	6088  

Name:	Very Blurry American Eagle.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	6089  

Name:	Holster.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6090  

Unread 04-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Great looking gun. Yes, it has been reworked/refinished. The holster may be an early commercial. Thanks for the photos. More when you get the chance will help move the analysis along. Thanks
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
H0B0 J0E
New User

Ron,

Thanks for your help!

I'll try to post some real photos (from a real camera) soon.

You've made me curious... Can you confirm whether my measurement of the bore indeed indicates 9mm (I know, it makes sense, but I'll ask anyway)? If so, can you discern from what you've seen and what I've written that the gun has been retrofitted with a 9mm chamber and barrel? Why in God's name would someone do such a thing?

FYI, the barrel has no serial number (that I can see) let alone a serial number matching the receiver, etc. Also, the front sight looks a little different than others that I've seen in photos of 1900 American Eagle Lugers.

Do you think the reworking has destroyed the value? I'm just curious - this particular item has immense sentimental value to me and I would never sell...

Thanks again.
Unread 04-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
Ingvarg
User

Hi and welcome to the Luger world.

Reworking usually lower the $$ walue but in your case the sentimental value is what really counts.
For me, something like that from my late father would be far more valuable than any high $$ "collectors" item.
Looks like a beutifull pistol, and retrofitting could have something to do with ammo avalibility at the time.
9mm or not, you should be able to confirm with a pencil. If the "eraser" end fit in it,s 9mm. im told.
The small tool is a reloading / take down (skrewdriver) tool.
You fit the hole over the knob on the side of the mag (skrewdr. end up) and use your thump to push the fallower down to make it easyer to reload the mag.
Unread 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0B0 J0E View Post

4. The barrel length is 4.75"
Joe -

How did you measure the barrel??? From the breech face to the muzzle??? Or externally, from the receiver end to the muzzle???

I know nothing about Eagles, but from the pic, it looks longer than 4 3/4"...

Just roughly measuring from the muzzle to the receiver breech cut (with my scale on the monitor), I get 130mm/5 1/8"...(which would equate to breech face to muzzle)...

That seems somewhat odd...

It looks good, though...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
H0B0 J0E
New User

postino,

I measured externally, from the end of the receiver to the end of the barrel. If measured internally - right to the "start" of the chamber where the cartridge would seat to the end of the barrel - it's 143mm.

Cheers