LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-13-2024, 10:42 PM   #1
93hp
New User

Default Matching Byf 41 except mag - shooter or?

Hello. I’m new to Lugers, though I’ve wanted one for about the last 40 years. I first wanted to thank you all for this forum - I’ve learned a tremendous amount already sifting through the forum and FAQs.

I recently purchased a byf 41 Luger, sn xx07v for $1600. My intent was to get a Luger that was a shooter in good mechanical and cosmetic condition to shoot and enjoy rather than a high value collectible. I THINK that’s what I got at a fair price (maybe even a good deal?), but I wanted to get second opinions on that before shooting it much and then finding out it’s much more valuable or significant in a collectible sense than than I thought. So I’m hoping you all can offer your assessment of what I have - a nice shooter or something much more that I need to think about as a collectible.

Any thoughts on the value would be appreciated as well. I’ve found examples of similar Mauser Lugers that seems to run in the $2600-3500 range, which is what prompted me to jump on what seemed to be a good price.

Here’s what I think I have:
Matching parts - all numbered internal and parts match, including the grips and inside of the side plate, but not the magazine. I obscured the first two digits of the sn in the picutures, but they are there on the gun and are consistent with the font of the last two digits shown. I also obscured the number stamped inside the side plate, but it is two digits and the second is one higher than the second digit of the SN, The circular marks inside the side plate are right about the stamped number and made we wonder it the stamp is original or altered.

No import marks, Russian capture marks, or other post manufacturer marks

Grips - matching number and proof marks

Finish - might be original? There seems to be wear that would be expected from handling and holstering, some faint oxidation in corners and wear areas, and the was a little rust under the grips that scrubbed off with some CLP and a cloth.

Magazine - a very nice but not matching nickel plated mag with aluminum base and eagle-6 stamps on the base and spine.

Bore - bright and sharp, except in just inside the muzzle. Something odd happened there at some point in this Luger’s life. It looks almost as if someone started to screw a tap into the bore, and made scratches that look like the start of threads, Has anyone seen anything like this before? Perhaps damage from using a 22 conversion at some point? And is this damage something that would put the pistol squarely into a shooter category? I did shoot if and it groups very tightly, so the damage doesn’t seem to have had any effect.

Even if it is just a very nice shooter, I’m debating getting a S/42 or byf toggle train and replacement grips just to protect those matching parts. I’m also thinking it would be best to get some MecGar mags for shooting rather than using a mag that seems to be worth several hundred dollars. Any thoughts on doing these preventative steps would also be appreciated.

Thanks again in advance. Now the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	88781  

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	88782  

Name:	IMG_3501.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	88783  

Name:	IMG_3503.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	88784  

Name:	IMG_3504.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	88785  

Name:	IMG_3506.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	88786  

Name:	IMG_3508.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	88787  

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	88788  

Name:	IMG_3539.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	88789  

Name:	IMG_3542.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	88790  

93hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2024, 10:48 PM   #2
93hp
New User

Default And the mag

And these are pictures of the non-matching mag and the strange marks inside the muzzle.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	88791  

Name:	IMG_3536.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	88792  

Name:	IMG_3538.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	88793  

Name:	IMG_3498.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	88796  

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	88797  

93hp is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to 93hp for your post:
Unread 07-14-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,167 Times in 388 Posts

Finish looks original to me. I'd shoot it the way it is. Mec-gar mags are a good idea. Sad that someone ran a tap into the muzzle, but if it still groups OK, then it's OK past that. Pretty gun.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 07-15-2024, 12:35 AM   #4
Eugen
User

OP, you did well on that Luger. Congrats! Definitely buy one or two Mec-Gar mags if you plan to shoot it. It is debatable for many if it is wise to shoot an original finish, matching Luger. If you only plan to rarely shoot it and feel lucky, you could just shoot it as is. Use 115gn projectiles with relatively light loads. I hand load my Luger ammo with just enough powder to properly cycle/function. I'm sure you already watched a few YouTube videos on field stripping and properly cleaning and lubing. Be sure to give us a range report, if you decide to shoot it.
The following 4 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 09-01-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
Stu
User

I'd be happy to have that pistol. I think the muzzle damage does reduce the value a little, but a good buy.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote