LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
donmor53
User

Default Newbie with a mag question...

Hello from Texas guys,

I'm new to the forum and after years of gun collecting I have take the plunge and bought myself a 41 byf Luger (s/n 1449a) and a Mauser C86 Red Nine from a friend's collection. My initial question is regarding the magazine that came with the pistol. It is an FXO, straight eagle 37 Top and bottom of the left side) that is in overall fantastic shape IMO. As you can see in the supplied photos...the pinned aluminum bottom has been stamped to match the pistol somewhere in the past. I've gotten answers all over the map regarding the authenticity of this mag actually matching the weapon. I've heard everything from "Bubba work" to "armorer's repair" to "original issue". Since there are no other proof stamps on the aluminum...I honestly do doubt it being "original issue". I guess my question is...what do the resident experts here think? All input would be welcome

Below are is photos of the bottom and side stamps and the rig as I got it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P08 magazine SN.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	19443  

Name:	Saturday Pistol Pics 021.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	19444  

Name:	Saturday Pistol Pics 032.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	19445  

donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

This year of manufacture wasn't accepted on the base, the eagle 37 on the side is the acceptance marking....

Under magnification do you see other markings?

From several angles, looking from the side is the magazine bottom round (has not been sanded?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Chris from Minnesota
User

Hello donmor53 and welcome to the board.

Magazines issued to Military Mauser pistols would have the suffix a stamped under the numbers for the primary mag and the spare would include a + under the suffix. Also the font size and style should look similar to the numbers stamped on the pistol. It is possible that your pistol was issued without numbered mags, Mauser stop numbering mag towards the end of 1941 though 1942.

Chris
Chris from Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
donmor53
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
This year of manufacture wasn't accepted on the base, the eagle 37 on the side is the acceptance marking....

Under magnification do you see other markings?

From several angles, looking from the side is the magazine bottom round (has not been sanded?

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Minnesota View Post
Hello donmor53 and welcome to the board.

Magazines issued to Military Mauser pistols would have the suffix a stamped under the numbers for the primary mag and the spare would include a + under the suffix. Also the font size and style should look similar to the numbers stamped on the pistol. It is possible that your pistol was issued without numbered mags, Mauser stop numbering mag towards the end of 1941 though 1942.

Chris
Ed...

There in another straight eagle 37 on the left side about halfway between the the front of the mag (just before the roll) and the center longitudinal rib. It is about 3/4" down from the top and appears to be identical in striking depth and age as the straight eagle 37 pictured. There are no other marks than the FXO and P.08 pictured that I can find under any degree of magnification. I have worked with a lot of metals over the years and this bottom is still rounded and does not appear tp have been sanded. The s/n stampings look to have been done long ago as they appear to be aged, dinged and the coloration looks to match the rest of the aluminum surface. Bottom line IMO? Whoever stamped it...did it long ago and I would bet it hasn't ever been sanded.

Chris...

I was told that by all indications this pistol was a late '41 manufacture (most likely Dec.) and could possibly have come with the either aluminum bottom or bakelite FXO mag that match the black grips. Opinions so far are varied and lean toward a toss up. It's the apparently aged s/n stampings that so far have caused the conflicting views.

Thanks,

Donny
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
MFC
User

I agree with Chris. IMHO It was not issued with the numbers on the mag. The gun was probably isssued with a blank aluminum or bakelite bottom (possibly this mag). These numbers were added later. If you compare it to a correct numbered mag, you will see that the numbers are larger than normal.
Just my 2 cents...
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quoting from a work by Don Hallock on Mauser magazines:

First, the types:

Type 1: Tin or Nickel Plated Rolled Metal Body, Aluminum Base
Type 2: Blued Body, Aluminum Base
Type 3: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, 122 Code, E/37 WaA
Type 4: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA*
Type 5: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA**
Type 6: Blued Extruded Body, Black Plastic Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA

* These magazines are marked with a P.08 on the left side that appears to be upside down when the magazine is placed on the spine

** These magazines are marked with a P.08 on the left side that appears to be right side up when the magazine is placed on the spine

FOR GERMAN MILITARY MAUSERS (approx.)
122 from 1ns, 1940 to 1000p, 41 byf
fxo P08 (Type 4) 1000P to 9999s, 41 byf
fxo P08 (Type 5) 1t to 9999u, 41 byf
fxo un-numbered alum and plastic, 1v, 41 byf to 150m, 42 byf

FN

Last edited by FNorm; 06-04-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: ed
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
donmor53
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNorm View Post
Quoting from a work by Don Hallock on Mauser magazines:

First, the types:

Type 1: Tin or Nickel Plated Rolled Metal Body, Aluminum Base
Type 2: Blued Body, Aluminum Base
Type 3: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, 122 Code, E/37 WaA
Type 4: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA*
Type 5: Blued Extruded Body, Aluminum Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA**
Type 6: Blued Extruded Body, Black Plastic Concave Center Pinned Body, fxo Code, E/37 WaA

* These magazines are marked with a P.08 on the left side that appears to be upside down when the magazine is placed on the spine

** These magazines are marked with a P.08 on the left side that appears to be right side up when the magazine is placed on the spine

FOR GERMAN MILITARY MAUSERS (approx.)
122 from 1ns, 1940 to 1000p, 41 byf
fxo 80P (Type 4) 1000P to 9999s, 41 byf
fxo P08 (Type 5) 1t to 9999u, 41 byf
fxo un-numbered alum and plastic, 1v, 41 byf to 150m, 42 byf
exactly...
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
donmor53
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
I agree with Chris. IMHO It was not issued with the numbers on the mag. The gun was probably isssued with a blank aluminum or bakelite bottom (possibly this mag). These numbers were added later. If you compare it to a correct numbered mag, you will see that the numbers are larger than normal.
Just my 2 cents...
I don't disagree. What I wonder is when and by whom? I guarantee you...the stamping has been there quite a while.

Armory repair maybe?
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
MFC
User

It reminds me of the large block type fonts used by the Police armorers. Police armorers never added the suffix, but they numbered the mags 1,2 or 3.