LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
lboos
User

Default magazine / clips

Im new here. will it hurt any thing to leave the magazine in the gun while its not in use. [Display] etc. or should you remove it?
and what is the diff. in a magazine and a clip? on the 1911 board they talk a lot about clips and here its always magazines. in GA.
lboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Welcome to the forum;

Depends on "whom" you talk to. Personally I do not mind if someone says clip, as the old Colt manuals called them clips. On most gunboards, a Clip is like for a rifle, i.e. a garand has an en bloc "clip", and pistols have magazines.

I leave my magazines in my guns at all times.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

lets take a pole....how many call it a clip and how many call it a mag....OK Ed??
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
the gunman
User

"Very Good"
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I'm going to ask Sandra to beat you with a kitchen wisk (unless you'd like that )
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #6
craig16134
User

I was beat to a pulp for calling a luger "magazine" a clip on this forum when I first started posting... Hard to say.. Ian V Hogg (author) did alot of research into this during the 1960's, he came to the same conclusive ideas of all in the past.

1. germany-magazine
2. ussr- magazine
3 usa- magazine
4. poland- magazine
5. united kingdom- magazine
6. canada- magazine
7. mexico- magazine
8. asia- magazine
9. gangsterland- CILP
craig16134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,193 Posts

Hi,

I want to add that the original name in Germany was 'laderahmen', as they were used to stripper clips (ladestreifen), but not to magazines. They switched to the term 'magazin' rather quickly.

Over here we tend to call it a 'magazijn' or still popular in the military and police world: 'patroonhouder' ('cartridge holder').

Leaving an empty magazine in a luger will allow it to push against the holdopen spring, but I doubt it will have much effect in the long run.

Personally I don't like to see magazines in unused and unloaded guns, but that has more to do with firearms safety in a shooting environment and not with a collecting environment.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by policeluger
lets take a pole....
That's what Schickelgruber said in 1939 and it resulted in alot of these Lugers ending up over here.

In early military usage a magazine is a storage area for ammunition for an artillery piece either on a ship or in a casement, and it feeds ammunition to the gun. With the advent of repeater firearms in the ninteenth century the word magazine described the area that fed ammo to the weapon. The things used to feed the magazine were called clips. Stripper clips fed the magazines on such weapons as the C96, GEW98, Model 1903, etc.

As a kid growing up on Army posts and surrounded by guns, I called them all clips. Whether for a .22 cal rifle, a Nambu or an M1, they were all clips. Of course they all fed ammo into guns and I called them all guns. A little later in life a drill sergeant at Ft Bragg persuaded me to differentiate between the several firearms. He actually did this with a quaint little rhyme and a boot in the ass. The same sergeant may also have taught me the difference between a clip and a magazine. Can't remember now.
George Anderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
lboos
User

in my younger days when i use to handle an M16a1 we got our ammo. in what we called strips. which were in small cardboard pkg,s. and then were trans. to what we called clips and then the clips were installed in the weapon and ammo. pouch,s and the strips were discarded.
lboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
pennrg
User

I saw somebody use the term "charger" once on eBay.
pennrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Using the term charger on ebay is throw off their gun censoring auction police... I think it shows the ingenuity of the gun owner to keep a liberal organization like ebay confused...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
Conny
User

In 1978 when going through Military training, we were taught that a "clip" disappears into the firearm completely and a magazine "mag" protrudes. Such as: M16 20,30 rd. mag, M14 20 rd. mag, Sten 32 rd. Mag, Luger Snail Drum 32 rd. mag.....45 7 rd. clip, Browning 13rd. clip, Luger 7 rd. clip, etc.

It's an old thread but I thought interesting.
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
RylanBrissette
User

Yeah this post is a bit old but I would like to clear up a few things

There is a difference between a clip and a magazine. The only reason I think people call a Magazine a "clip" is cause its fast/easy to say, or simply a habit. A clip is essentialy what it sounds like. A clip that holds bullets together. The M1 Garand is a good example. It has a 8 round en bloc CLIP, and that clip is inserted into the magazine. The magazine in the M1 is just an internal spring that gives the rounds in the clip force towards the chamber. Now when most people think of a Magazine, they are thinking of what is properly called a "Box Magazine". There are M1 Garand type magazines and what is called a Tubular Magazine, which is common on pump shotguns. The Box Magazine is all your handgun/rifle mags that are removable. ALL MAGAZINES have some sort of a spring, and clips generally do not!

I say clip as a habit, but that isn't correct. I have met people who corrected me when I refered to my mag as a "clip".
RylanBrissette is offline   Reply With Quote