LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
jimmiej
User

Post Cleaning an old Luger

I just acquired a First Issue that has been lying around in someones basement. What is a good way to overall clean it without damaging any finish or strawing? It has minor surface rust in a few spots and the front and rear grip metal is still blued but "dirty/dull" in appearance. Thanks for any help.Jim
jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
I have done well with just a good scrubbing with gun oil and a cloth. You are wanting to take the rust off of it (many times that is the clouding you'll see).

take the grips off before you do this, and even then, be very careful in removing them, many times I have heard of them getting damaged because of over handeling.

Ensure you do not use anything that will scratch the blueing.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

What Ed said about removing the grips....

Also - I use Flitz, which will NOT harm original blue (it does a job on cold blue and "permanent black magic marker, though)... Next - treat with a good oil and reassemble....

HTH,

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
jimmiej
User

John,
What is Flitz and where can I get it?
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Jimmie.!

Flitz (http://www.flitz.com/) is sold as a "metal polish" that is sold in a number of places in my area? I think I bought mine at a local gun shop (which is VERY LARGE!). However - I've seen it in chain stores before (I think it was KMart and an automotive store for polishing chrome??)?

If you have difficulty finding it locally - let me know, and next time I go to those places, I'll try to find some more and send it to you, OK??

In your local area - you may want to try either auto parts stores, or some of the larger firearms stores???

Best to you,

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
jimmiej
User

Thanks for the help. Another question. The hold open was added to this Luger but works intermitently. As this has a correct period magazine but not a matching one, might that be the problem?
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jim, To clean the rust and patina off a rust blued luger, I'd recommend some solvent, a stainless steel brush and elbow grease, before trying anything stronger. For the hold open, first try other mags to see if this improves the operation. If not, remove and check for burrs and clean out frame area. Th
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
jimmiej
User

Thanks to all for the replys. Jim
Unread 10-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
Navy
RIP

jimmiej,

An old time collector taught me when I first started in this game the following...

Remove grips and soak the piece in kerosene for several days. The kerosene softens the oxidized metal and loosens it. Then rub vigorously with coarse cloth (what we southerners call "croker sack"; repeat as necessary. It is a little more time consuming, but it is impossible to do damage.

Tom A,
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
PACKET
User

Flitz can be found at West marine or Boaters World. It is sold as a stainless polish and works very well. I have never used it on firearms, but it works great on the stainless rails on my boat.
PACKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
ratdog
User

Why would you need to polish stainless, since it doesn't rust? If your rails are polished stainless steel, you can save your money on expensive polishes and use plain old Windex to clean. Later..................B
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #12
PACKET
User

Actually stainless does rust, just not as bad as carbon steel, and it does get nasty on a saltwater boat in short order. Flitz is called a polish, but I suspect its more of a cleaner and preservative.
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #13
ratdog
User

You are half right, a lower grade of stainless is less resistant to corrosion. Most bolts and hardware though are Type 304 and DO NOT rust. Must be the marine industry is supplying sub-par components to their customers, or you bought chrome plated fittings under the guise of stainless. But do a search for stainless rusting and you will find that true stainless does not rust. If you have pitting and rust spots, you have chrome!!!!
Unread 10-23-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
pipeman45
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by ratdog:
<strong>You are half right, a lower grade of stainless is less resistant to corrosion. Most bolts and hardware though are Type 304 and DO NOT rust. Must be the marine industry is supplying sub-par components to their customers, or you bought chrome plated fittings under the guise of stainless. But do a search for stainless rusting and you will find that true stainless does not rust. If you have pitting and rust spots, you have chrome!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Sorry to jump in here and dissagree. But having worked on a dairy farm in my youth,stainless will rust! We had to use food grade metal that was approved by inspectors and some would show rust. When I ask the inspector about it he said "It says stainless,not rustless".
Unread 10-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
ratdog
User

Stainless looks like it's rusting when it gets a scratch in it and particles of steel lay in it. True stainless WILL NOT RUST!!!!!! Look it up............B
Unread 10-23-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Stainless is called stainless for a reason. It will stain less. It is not called stainproof. The closest to stainproof steel I've seen is Tennifer treated carbon steel. I have cleaned rust from stainless gun barrels that someone thought needed no protection. When Glock choose Tennifer treated carbon steel, they ran test against all sorts of steels treated, and stainless steels, one test involved a year under saltwater. No stainless made it. Even the tennifer treated carbon steel showed some rust, but the part still showed it had integrity. I have a stainless Luger, but I'm not about to let sit with no protection on the surface...
Unread 10-24-2004, 02:29 AM   #17
Tomathvl
User

http://www.ssina.com/publications/salt_corrosion.html
This may help the open minded.
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:30 PM   #18
Hugh
RIP

Lightbulb

WD40 and fine steel wool (3-0 or 4-0) will remove surface rust without harming the blue. Personally, I prefer a product named RB17 that I purchased at a local gun show. Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner also works well.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:22 AM   #19
Steve Richards
User

I am not a metalurgist but I would guess that under the right (wrong?) conditions that any iron compound will corrode. Burning gunpowder is going to create all sorts of compounds that are deposited on the gun. Add in oils and salts from your hands, moisture from the air and who knows what will be created.

That said, stainless steel is going to MUCH more forgiving than blued carbon steel!

Just an uneducated opinion.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #20
PACKET
User

Excellent observations by everyone, and special thanks to Tomathvl for the great link. Just goes to illustrate that no matter what steel is used in the manufacturing of a firearm, care must be taken to preserve the finish.