LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-15-2001, 07:31 AM   #1
Ted
User

Default Production for the Army Question

I have read that Simson had the exclusive contract for the German Army from 1923-1933, when they lost their manufacturing equipment because they were Jewish and Hitler had taken power in 1933. I have also read DWM was making Lugers in the 1920-1930 time frame with some going to police and some going to the Army. Also, that Mauser started production in 1930 with a Dutch contract. My question is did all three DWM, Simson and Mauser make them for the Army during the time period 1923-1933? I am a little confused on this point! Thanks! Ted

Unread 03-15-2001, 08:50 AM   #2
Steve
User

Default Re: Production for the Army Question

Ted,

DWM ceased to exist in the early '20's when it became BKIW.

There were, however, pistols still being manufactured using

the DWM logo. To further confuse things, it has been suggested that Mauser had also started producing/finishing

pistols in the 1929 time frame as witnessed by the Sneaks that exhibit some of the characteristics of early Mauser mfg

Lugers.(K dates to be specific). So I guess the answer to your question would be that DWM was not actually manufacturing pistols in this time frame as they had become BKIW.

Regards,

Steve

Unread 03-15-2001, 08:52 AM   #3
Patrick
User

Default Re: Production for the Army Question

The Allied Control Commission published its list of firms prohibited from weapons production in July 1921. DWM only made a small number of Lugers for the Reichswehr from 1918 up to the prohibition in 1921 but none from 1921 onwards. There were sufficient P 08s in stock. From then on, DWM made some Lugers from existing parts , re-worked guns and re-barreled guns in 7.65 mm to get around the Allied prohibition. The machinery was sent to Mauser in 1930. Erfurt started production in 1911. Production ended in 1918 as far as I can tell. Simson took over their machinery and their Reichswehr contract was dated April 1924. The contract was transferred to Mauser in 1934. So there is little likelihood of having a set of Lugers made by DWM, Erdfurt, Simson and Mauser - all with the same date. Patrick