LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-24-2001, 08:45 PM   #1
Heinz
User

Default P06 commercial??

I ran across a small collection of Lugers for sale in a gunshop near me. I was shopping for reloading supplies for the 45 colt and was taken by suprise. They are supposed to be on consignment. There was an artillery P08 in a shabby looking wooden case with a spare pair of "pearl" grips for 1000 that sort of turned me off. BUT there were also 3 30 cal, one with a grip safety, a 6" bbl and it didn't look monkeyed with. That was 895. I am thinking about going back this week and would like to know what I should be looking for. My limited understanding would be that this is a commercial model. What condition would be appropriate at this price?? thanks, Heinz

Unread 09-24-2001, 11:50 PM   #2
tom h

Default Re: P06 commercial??

Heinz, The 7.65mm Mo6 should have a 4&3/4" (120mm) barrel, not 6" unless it was changed here in the USA. See the General Info section for more details.

Unread 09-25-2001, 09:21 PM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

I would not worry about the pearl grips too much on the artillery. They can be replaced. Check the chamber date and the rest of the gun. If they all look matching, nice and crisp then the gun may be legit. The 1916 and 1917 are fairly common for artillery lugers but the price seems to be pretty fair even for those years. Does the magazine match the gun? What does the bore look like? Is there any pitting?

There are a lot of other questions that need to be answered before I could actually say that you might have a good deal.

The 6 inch luger with the grip safety in 30 caliber is another discussion. Why not a 1906 commercial navy Luger I ask myself. Your description needs more detail. Are there military proof marks on the side of the frame? If so, then its been rebarreled. You did not say what kind of rear sight the Luger had. Was it adjustable or fixed? If is a fixed sight, then its been rebarreled. Are there serial numbers under the barrel and caliber markings? If not, then it has been rebarreled. The price is awfully low for any navy Luger. Cast a suspicious eye at it before you buy.

I just looked at my 1906 commercial navy. It has a 5 digit serial number. All serial numbers on the small parts have them placed in the commercial style. The only marking on the receiver side is on a crowned 'N' (left side). That marking is also on the bottom of the barrel just above the serial number. Mine is a 9mm. There is no date on either the chamber, front sight or side of the receiver.

I hope that this helps you.

Big Norm

Unread 09-26-2001, 05:31 PM   #4
Heinz
User

Thanks to both Tom and Norm. I am going to go take another look this weekend. I will let you know what I see.