LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Balder
User

Default Buying a LP - what should I look for?

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of buying a 1917 or 1918 DWM artillery Luger with a mismatching but original stock and a supposedly very nice holster. I'll head out to inspect and possibly buy it next week. Having several P-08s but no experience with the LP, is there anything I should be aware of or look for? Thanks.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Steinar
User

I can't think of anything else than to check if the stock sits tight on the stock lug and that the leaf spring in the rear sight is strong enough to keep sight down under firing. That in addition to the regular things you would look for when purchasing a Luger..
I'm no expert on LP's. I guess half of the reason for my posting, is to justify the two sentences below

If the deal don't fall trough, give me a hint.. As you probably know, they are not so easy to find in our little part of the world!
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,200 Posts

Hi,

The sight blade has small notches in the side (right) where the adjustable sight locks into. Many times these notches have worn away, causing the sight to move along the blade while shooting. Also the sight locks into place using a miniscule coil spring. This spring also has a tendency to wear out, thus allowing the sight to move during recoil.

For a collector's piece, it's not that important, but if you want to take the old girl out for a spin now and again, it is.

Basically, all small parts should be numbered to the gun, as the P08 parts would be. But the sight blade construction is a bit more complex, thus more numbers on those parts.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

For an orginal factory-finish piece (i.e. not a re-do), I would look for "halos" on the stampings of serial numbers and bore on the barrel underside, "halos" on the 4-digit serial number on the left side of the receiver, and "halos" on the little 2-digit serial number stampings on the small parts such as the breechblock, front toggle, etc.

Strawed parts should have an old, weathered, oxidized, and sometimes worn look as well...with some of the straw color going dark and even grey in color. Pattens of wear from contact with fingers and thumbs on the right side of the trigger and the thumb safety lever also...

BTW...here is a nice one to study with good detailed photos. Ad said it was refinished, but it was not and a member on Jan Still's gun board won it for a bit over $ 2,000.00...a very good buy in today's terms.

It even had some traces of fire-blue finish left on some of the small parts of the rear Artillery sight, sear bar spring, and some of the toggle train pins and magazine release spring...

http://68.167.203.107:8050/FMPro?-db...12584808&-Find
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

There are some differences between the early 1917's, late 1917's and the 1918 LP-08's on the front and rear sights. Early 1917's have had small screws to make the sight adjustible for windage (on the front sight) and adjustment screws on the rear sight. These small screws with two tiny pin holes in the top were phased out during 1917 and do not exist on the 1918's. The front sight on the 1917 MAY OR MAY NOT have a two digit serial number on it that matches all other two digit serial numbers. This MAY BE located on the left side only on the adjustible blades base. If there is a serial number there, it should match.

On the 1917, there should be three or four two digit serial numbers on the rear sight depending on whether the sight has an adjustible screw. All of these LP-08's will have a two digit serial number on the front top of the mounting base and also on the right side of the movable tang sight. The 1917 with the adjustible screw will have a two digit serial number on the blade where the distances are measured. The later 1917 and all the 1918's will have a two digit serial number on the base of the vertical sight towards the front. The early 1917 with the adjustible screw will have a serial number on the rear of the verical sight. The later 1917's and the 1918's will not have a two digit serial number here. This probably was because the later 1917's and the 1918's rear vertical sight were one piece and the early 1917's were two pieces.

You should check the bore. Too shiny and if the rifling is too perfect would suggest that the barrel has been replaced. Check the rare toggle to see if it was previously a P-08 that had its rear sight filed off at some time.

Aside from that, the serial number placements are pretty might the same as on the P-08's. Petes advice in looking at the numbers should be followed. Have fun shopping.

Do you live any where near Borgheim, Norway? Its near Oslo. I have friends there. There is also a man named Derek Schei who may deal with Lugers who lives in Norway. Try:
www.Dereksmilitaria.no

I have never tried him but I have heard that he sometimes has WW2 stuff.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Balder
User

Thanks to all for your input, highly appreciated! I now know what to look for, hopefully I'll be able to inspect it next week.

Regards,

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote