LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Lenn_Guy
New User

Wink Very Newbie Luger Question??

Ok I have a have a question on a Luger.
My wife has put one on lay-way for me as an anniversary gift.
I only got to look at quick.
The bore was mint and it was atleast 85 to 95% finish.
Tag said it was a DWM.
It had with a chamber date of 1917 and lots of markings on the barrel.
It had what I think was a couple of Nazi Proofs? Is it possible for a 1917 dated luger to have Nazi proofs?

It was marked $700 and she got them down to $650. We can get out of the lay-a-way at any time and get all her money back.

This is my first Luger and I don't know that much about them. I would like one that has Nazi marks. and with the info I'm finding on the web, I can't figure out if it is possible if the marks were or not.

THANKS

Lenn S. Minnesota
Lenn_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Wow what a great wife, does she have a sister... just kidding. Yes a 1917 gun could very well have served in WW2. Pictures when you can will be a big help, most likely it was a military or police gun, and from the pictures we can tell, look at the tech and general info to the right of the screen, perhaps you can get some additional info there, $650 sounds real fair, original clip/holster/tool will all add to the value and we will need more info to nail it down, but it sounds like a good deal. Welcome to LF.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
DougT
User

Hi Lenn, one of the most basic things to check for on a Luger is to see if the numbers are "matching". The larger parts of the gun will have the last two digits of the serial number stamped on them. If all the numbered parts match, then the gun is considered "matching". This is always a plus. A "mismatched" gun may be quite functional, but is not as desirable as a "matching" gun. It is very possible for this particular gun to be of 1917 vintage (Imperial era) and also have Nazi rework markings. The price sounds great. Let us know more about this gun when you can, and welcome to the LugerForum.
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Lenn_Guy
New User

Thanks for the quick Replies, and the Welcomes.
It did only have the 1 magizine. When I get back to the shop, I'll make sure to check it over better and write down the markings if i can't get pictures.
Thanks Again Lenn
Lenn_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote