LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-23-2001, 09:45 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Question: C&R License in Kalifornia

I'm staring at my C&R application here in Kalifornia, wondering if it conflicts with any state laws, of which we have far too many. In other words, can a C&R licensee here ignore certain requirements such as the waiting period and Department of Justice background check? What about sales tax? Does the C&R license take precedence over state requirements? Does it confer the full privileges of a FFL, but limited to C&R items? Would like to know from a Kalif. C&R licensee.

Unread 06-24-2001, 12:07 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Question: C&R License in Kalifornia

No! The C&R liscense only allows you to go to another state and buy a C&R gun. The Feds will not get you. When you get back to California you must go through the same BS as you have to go through if you had bought from a California dealer. I do not know about the waiting period. The finer details will have to be asked to someone else. My brother in Escondido tried to explain it to me and I go all confused.

In Michigan, the waiting period is dropped if you buy in another state using your C&R liscense. But you still have to register your gun. But you can keep possession of the gun. But if you buy from a Michigan dealer then the C&R liscence is of no value. I have to get the Michigan purchase permit before I take possession of the gun.

Michigan is simular to California in many respects.But California keeps changing its laws. In Michigan, it is more important which city you live. In some cities you can wait in the lobby for the permit. In other cities you might have to wait 30 days or more. Same state.

Now when I talk about guns in this discussion then I am talking about handguns and not long guns. Michigan is easier on long guns. Michigan also differs with the fed in that a C&R gun in Michigan will not take modern ammo. All other handguns must be registered.

Big Norm

Unread 06-24-2001, 12:13 AM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

Default I FORGOT SOMETHING

I FORGOT TO MENTION ONE OTHER IMPORTANT THING. IF YOU ARE A DEALER, THEN YOU MUST ALSO PAY A SALES TAX IN BOTH EMPIRES. THE FED ALSO REQUIRES A PHONE CALL TO THEM. A C&R FFL HOLDER IS NOT REQUIRED TO DO THAT. NOW HOW THE FED DETERMINES WHO SHOULD HAVE A DEALERS LISCENCE AND WHO SHOULD HAD A C&R LISCENCE IS ANOTHER DISCUSSION.

BIG NORM

Unread 06-24-2001, 12:52 AM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: I FORGOT SOMETHING

Yikes! Now I don't know if I want a C&R license, as I don't really see what the advantage is. I will have to digest what you said and hope for additional clarification. Thanks for trying to clear up what appears to be a horrendous bureaucratic mess!