LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-23-2002, 10:24 AM   #1
Stu
User

Post Good and bad ammo

I've seen a general theme on a number of boards that Wolf ammo is 'bad' in some vaguely defined fashion.

Now I've shot a lot of it in modern guns in 9 and 45 calibers with no problems and I quite like it; it's very cheap and available which is pretty attractive to me !

Is there a member out there who has access to a chronograph who could measure velocity and standard deviation to give us an idea of a) how hot IS this load and b) some slight idea as to the quality control ?

I appreciate this doesn't answer any questions and the characteristics of steel v brass cases is a major topic, but I've yet to see any objective data about these loads, just opinions.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Red face

Stu, I haven't shot any wolf ammo and the cheapness of it has attracted me also. But this last year, there have been two reports of wolf ammo being double loaded and another case of another russian manufacturer of ammo causing a problem. So, it makes me leery.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
Stu
User

Hi Edward; I quite agree with your observations, hence my interest [img]smile.gif[/img]

I saw one breakage attributed to a double load but if I remember rightly the opinion as to cause was split; some suggesting metal fatigue as a major factor ?

I'd hesitate to use in an older weapon but have shot it in a Thompson, Uzi, Hi-Power and Kimber 1911 without problems.

I suspect it's reasonably 'hot', and is too much for old metal and springs and certainly for my health [img]wink.gif[/img] .

I wonder if there's any laws governing the loading of foreign ammo sold in the US, (sammi specs ?).
Unread 08-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #4

Stu,

I recently had a problem with Russian Silver Bear ammo. See Overpressure Russian Ammo under Shooting and Reloading (about 2-3 weeks ago). The problem was not with Wolf ammo and it occurred in my S&W 3914, not my Luger.

I have now used up all (I think) of my Russian ammo and don't plan on buying any more. I see no advantage with the availability and price of the Walmart Winchester stuff.
Unread 08-23-2002, 11:52 AM   #5
Stu
User

Hi Al. I quite agree with you but unfortunately the Walmarts in my area never seem to stock any; it's a pain as it would be my ammo of choice for all my plinking.
Unread 08-23-2002, 12:07 PM   #6

Stu,

In Florida where I reside 9 mos. of the year the local Walmart has a ton of the $10.95/100 Winchester stuff--I bought maybe 1000. In WV where I am now, they are out sometimes. Ask if they can order it.
Unread 08-23-2002, 02:49 PM   #7
Roadkill
User

Best way to explain this is the way the guy did who rebuilt my boat motor ($850 plus parts) a few years ago. He said I ruined a $2500 motor over $.25 per gallon difference in gas. Not worth it.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 12:39 AM   #8

Stu,

To shed a little light on Walmart stocking the 100 round boxes of Winchester. I'm still in WV (near Clarksburg). I stopped in this evening to see if they had any of this ammo in stock (I'm about out). The clerk said they didn't have any--then his helper stepped up to the counter and said they did. He showed the first guy where it was--they had 8 boxes. I bought one but they still have 7 boxes in stock.
Unread 08-24-2002, 03:05 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
Talking

Al, yah, should a bought 2 or 3 [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 10:23 AM   #10
wterrell
User

Tacfoley,

The language barrier might be too great. (Too bad you Brits don't learn to speak English!) I would recommend that you cross the border at Arizona. The immigrants there will be glad to help you learn the lingo.
The higher paying jobs such as you mentioned are fairly well reserved for our educated youth, until they can snag a position at McDonald's. You could probably secure employment chopping wood in Oregon and then sign on for the wheat harvest.
Life will be difficult for you but your descendents will appreciate the fact that their ancestor had the gumption to sacrifice so that they could have the American privilege of shopping at Wal-Mart.

p.s. It would be better for you if you did not mention your education. Americans don't know what intellectuals are and would probably mistake you for a snake oil salesman.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 04:32 PM   #11

Tacfoley,

I'm sure you could find a job in many parts of the country. The southeast cities like Atlanta would probably be your best bet. New York City has tons of jobs, but their gun laws are probably worse than yours.

I suspect you are joking and we don't mind these jokes, it's a great country. If guns and shooting are your only interest in the USA, moving probably isn't worth the effort which would be considerable.

If you are serious, there are many agencies for temporary employment in the various big cities that would probably be your best choice in the beginning--you can work at a temporary job without a permanent visa or citizenship. Engineering companies, hospitals, and many others hire many temporary employees (in addition to the menial jobs mentioned above) when their needs are irregular or short term.

Ed,

I still have a lot of 9 mm back in FL and I don't want to have to load too much stuff into the car for my upcoming trip. I'll have enough guns and ammo anyway to raise a lot of eyebrows if they become visible during the trip for any reason.
Unread 08-24-2002, 06:46 PM   #12
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,295 Times in 427 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by AGE:
<strong>Tacfoley,

I'm sure you could find a job in many parts of the country. The southeast cities like Atlanta would probably be your best bet. New York City has tons of jobs, but their gun laws are probably worse than yours.
</strong><hr></blockquote>
and so on.

Consider Oregon. Gun laws are pretty easy, and the climate west of the Cascades is a lot like England. Hmmm, now that I think about it, that may or may not be an attraction... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote