LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-03-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,305 Times in 429 Posts
Default 1923 Stoeger question

The 1923 Stoeger American Eagle I looked at today was a long-barrel model, certainly not an Artillery, but seemingly longer than 6" (didn't get a chance to measure it). It did have the taller sight post of a 6" barrel.

Descriptions I've read of these guns specify varying barrel lengths. What were the marking conventions involved? This gun had a barrel which looked slightly different from the rest of the gun, the bluing appeared slightly different; the serial number was not stamped across the barrel axis, but rather, along the axis, lengthwise, and was only the last three digits of the #. I didn't see a proof mark. The wear of the bluing ata the muzzle was commensurate with the wear pattern of the rest of the gun (not much, admittedly, this was a very clean sample).

I asked the owner if it was a re-barrel, he assured me that it wasn't, but I have this niggling grain of doubt in the back of my mind. Can anybody clear it up?

Dwight

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Default Re: 1923 Stoeger question

Normally the pistol presents the Nitro prof marker. The stamp Germany was necessary for the exportation. According to Versailles treaty the DWM cannot make pistol with lenght of the barrel grater then 4". Normally the barrel was made by other firm and assembled in USA. This cas justify the different way to stamp the barrel. For example the Artillery model in 7.65 presents a rear adjusting sight stamped up to 10. Note that the stamp A.F. Stoeger Inc. New Yor is on two lines. The Genuine stamp is not present on the 1923 model.

Ciao

Mauro

Unread 03-03-2002, 10:40 PM   #3
BILL
User

Default Re: 1923 Stoeger question

Regarding the barrel length..many different lengths have been recorded. Stoeger advertised them in a lot of different lengths.

Unread 03-04-2002, 02:23 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,305 Times in 429 Posts
Default Grazi, Mauro (EOM)