LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-07-2002, 04:53 PM   #1
Stu
User

Post WW I production advice

I'm trying to find a great war pistol to expand my tiny collection of lugers.

I'd like to find a 1914 - 1918 pistol, (4") that's matching and has good metal. I'm not concerned if it's been refinished, but I'd prefer to avoid a double date right now.

My question to the knowledgable is; which year / manufacturer is the most common ? I'm working on the basis that I may find one in my price range by taking that approach [img]wink.gif[/img]

Thanks, Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Heinz
User

Stu, according to Jan Still"s Imperial Lugers, 1915 is a fairly high production year. The 1915 also has a pretty good finish, although not as nice as 1914 or earlier. Will come with the hold open and probably have a sear bar that was relieved later. ( You should buy Imperial Lugers by Jan Still if your are interested in that period)

I would not automatically rule out the double dates and police conversions as they are legitimate imperial lugers that have seen extended service. I have a 1915 DWM with full imperial proofs, a police sear safety, and a mid 1930's wermach proof eagle, that I like. I got it from Tom A. and it is a Thor rework. You might check with Tom A as he is having a "fire sale" I just bought a 1918 from him. This one has no post WWI markings but the fit and finish id somewhat rougher than the 1915. Not overly rough but more machining marks and not quite up to the quality of the 1915. You should also check with Thor as he often has P08s that he has refinished and some awaiting work. Thor's work is not cheap but it is very nicely done.

Heinz
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #3
Thor
User

Stu, you might consider either the 1920 Weimar Army DWM Luger or Cherry 1917 DWM Luger I have on gunbroker.com currently. Both have been professionally restored.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
Stu
User

Hi Thor. Thanks for the advice; 1915 sounds interesting.

I'm the one who keeps opening the bidding on the 1917 ! What a wonderful piece.

I'm out of work at the moment and I've sold or selling off all my other guns. All I'll have left is a modern 9mm. I refused to sell my 41 byf and decided to 'reinvest' some of the sales proceeds in Lugers as they're so fascinating !
So my 'collection' is the byf, a Mitchell stainless, a 1924 commercial and the searched for WW I era gun. My budget only stretches to refinished guns and I don't feel guilty about shooting them !

Perhaps if the 1917 doesn't sell at auction I could part exchange you for a dipped AC43 P38 and a very nice modern Belgian Hi Power that I'll be auctioning soon [img]wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the advice, Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
Thor
User

Thumbs up

Stu, I plan to keep both Lugers on gunbroker until they do sell. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks, but I have sold all I have put on there so far. Thanks for the update on your bidding!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote