LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
jimisbell
User

Default The 08 finally arrived

I am very happy with my purchase.

Its a 1918 Erfurt 9mm P08 Luger Serial # 1994

The pictures make it look much better than in person. The finish is worn more than is shown in the pictures.

It is all matching numbers except for the magazine which has no number on it. Would it hurt the value of the magazine to number it with the 1994 serial number on the wood? OOOOps, I looked real close and there is a number on it, in a smaller font and not very deep. Its #1136. Anyone need one that number and have one closer to #1994 to swap for it?

I bought it as a shooter for $800 but it is in much better condition than I expected at that price.

I am new to Lugers but think I may have stumbled into a good purchase on my first one. Its a Christmas present for my wife for Concealed Carry. Its heavy, but very "pursable" and its one of the few SAs that she can cycle with her arthritic hands. With the safety easy to operate I think she can carry it with a round in the chamber anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #1 (scaled).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	29402  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #2 (scaled).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	29403  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #3 (scaled).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	29404  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #4 (scaled).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	29405  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #5 (scaled).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	29406  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #6 (scaled).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	29407  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #7 (scaled).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	29408  

Name:	1918 P08 Luger SN #1994  #8 (scaled).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	29409  

Last edited by jimisbell; 10-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
nukem556
User

I'd SERIOUSLY suggest you reconsider allowing your wife to carry a locked and loaded Luger around in a purse. Most Lugers dont have a lot of tension on the safety lever, and it would be all too easy for objects in a purse to shuffle around and disengage the safety. I find it hard to see how she could manipulate a Lugers' toggle easier than a conventional slide, but even so, she'd be much better and safely served with a small .38 revolver.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to nukem556 for your post:
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Curly1
User

+1 on what Nukem said. Lugers are for collecting and shooting at the range not for CCW. Too bulky and heavy. 38spcl airweight snubby would be a better fit, no safetys to worry about.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
padredan
User

You have a nice erfurt. If you really want to protect your wife, find her something other than a luger. have you ever noticed the nice full flap holster they were issued with? there was a reason for it.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

if someone has arthritic hands, i would suggest NOT a double action revolver....

I would suggest a newer small pistol in .380 or 32 acp or if not too much of a blast on her hands, a small concealable 9mm

but a luger is not the best choice as a carry gun and I would not have one for a purse gun. It weighs 3 lbs for one thing
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Jim, and welcome to the forum.

I also would strongly recommend that you don't consider a Luger for concealed carry.

As much as I admire the Luger, this design has some inherent issues that make is less safe to carry than modern firearms.

Instead, consider finding a basic pistol safety education class like the NRA Basic Pistol course. When I teach this class, my co-instructors and I bring a variety of modern handguns that are suitable for concealed carry. We let the students inspect them during class, and fire them during the firing range portion of the class.

Everyone has different requirements in a concealment handgun. The very small ones (like the Ruger LCR / LCP and similar pistols) are so small and light that many people have a great deal of difficulty controlling them. This is made worse when someone has arthritis.

If a criminal sees you having trouble managing a firearm, they will quickly take it away from you, and could use it on you.

When we teach our state's certified Concealed Carry course, we also include training and practice with drawing the firearm from a holster, and shooting on target. This is essential knowledge and experience whether your state requires education or not.

Even if you and your wife are experienced with firearms, the courses are a great refresher when you consider starting concealed carry.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Ditto on all the concealed comments. Buy her a .380 auto that she can safely carry with a bullet in the chamber.

Since no one else mentioned it, please don't ruin an unmarked, original magazine by stamping it to match your gun. Everybody will know its fake and an irreplaceable piece of history will be trashed.

Last edited by alanint; 10-17-2012 at 07:25 AM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
MikeP
User

Another "nay" on a Luger for concealed carry.
For all the reasons given and a few more.
I have some arthritis in my hands and large heavy pistols are something I only handle in a controlled environment.
Carrying a loaded weapon is a big responsibility, and neat relics of the past do not lend to that responsibility.
Reliability and familiarity are paramount-it's life or death, not a game.
A quality .380 would be my choice.
Shot placement is as important as caliber.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
jimisbell
User

My wife had trouble with the .25 Derringer because it was too small, she could not rack the KelTec p380 because the spring is so strong and the grip is small, she handled the PPK with a little difficulty, but the P08 was the easiest. She could rack it because of the size of the manipulated pieces. Since she can rack it she could leave the chamber empty if there is a safety issue.

She qualified with the PPK and thought the recoil was easy to handle. But the trigger pull on the Derringer was really excessive, but it has to be because it has no trigger guard.

BTW, there is already a number on the magazine (1136), it was very faint and I did not see it at first. No I would not over stamp an already numbered magazine. I thought at first that it might be after market since I didnt see the faint number.
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
andwaahs
User

If that sear bar gets knocked as the pistol is carried in a handbag, its all over baby, I was never aware of the sear bar issue until I joined this site. I now treat my Luger with a extra degree of care while Its out of the safe.
If it where my loved one I would keep looking for a modern more reliable defence weapon, I agree with Taurus judge myself..
andwaahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
alanint
User

Why is it important that she be able to "rack" the pistol?

Simply hand her a modern, reliable .380 auto, which she can safely carry with a round in the chamber. All she has to do is pull it out and fire. The need for a magazine change in a scenario such as this is also slim to none.

If your wife is ever accosted, she will more than likely be struck, spun around by her purse strap or have at least one of her arms restrained. There is no way on earth she is going to be able to "rack" her Luger in order to make use of it.
Do your wife a possibly life-saving favor and forget the Luger in favor of a modern pocket pistol she can carry loaded and ready to fire.
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

There is a moderate size Beretta .380 pistol that I think is a pretty good smaller concealed carry pistol. There are several models in the "80" series. 84; 84F; 84BB; 84FS; 85; 85FS "Cheetah". They have good capacity (13 or so rounds).

They are well suited to smaller hands, and the racking force is less since the recoil spring design is for the .380 round. Still, they are shaped like the 90 series...

Marc
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

There is only one pistol I consider foolproof enough for a Woman..a snubby wheelgun. Ruger came out with an extreamly light model in 5 shot .38. No safety to be confused about. No racking of anything. If you get a hand on it and squeeze it will fire. Weight is an issue..many Police carry a pistol for 20 years and never fire it on duty. Hopefully Citizens will never have to either but if it's light and compact you are more likely to take it with.
A semi auto in inexperienced hands is a very poor choice. too many things to think about when the shilt hits the fan. My carry gun is a Colt Cobra..and I shoot much more often than most people. Just the same..I want a positive no hassle pick it up and shoot gun.

Good advice for us all seen in the above posts and a personal defense weapon is a choice..just make the right choice. In a life or death confrontation you do not want to be looking down at your pistol wondering why it didn't fire.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
alanint
User

Good advice, but my main issue with wheelguns in woman's hands is the way they carry them. They will invariably end up in the bottom of a purse or handbag, banging around with the piles of mysterious junk women carry. The chances of something ending up in the mechanism and eventually jamming it are more than good. If a woman is to carry a wheelgun, they really must take how they carry and store the revolver seriously.
I would recommend a "Sticky Holster", "Remora" or other pocket holster, designed to hug the firearm, keep it in one particular position and help keep it free of outside debris.
Unread 10-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

So true..Like any piece of working machinery..it's important to know how to use it but just as important to know how to carry it so it can be used.
I remember a case recently where either Ruger or ?? some other manufacturer had a lint problem with a pocket carry pistol? I am pretty sure it was a semi auto..had to do with lint in the firing pin area so the pistol wouldn't fire?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
alanint
User

Yes, I've seen people pull out pocket pistols they have not looked at carefully in months. Everything from lint and debris working their way into the firing pin channel, behind the trigger and hammer as well as obstructing the barrel. A couple of months ago, a friend took his .380 Kel-Tec out at the range with the purpose of running through the carry ammo he had in it and loading the pistol up with fresh carry ammo. The gun fired once, then nothing. My knee jerk comment was ; "See, your ammo went bad from not recycling it often enough. Moisture/oil got into the primers!!"
But upon further examination, we saw that the hammer would not move back or drop when you pulled the trigger. As we looked at the pistol, we realized that the little bar that holds the mainspring in at the pistol's heal was missing!! The loop at the end of the mainspring, which the little bar passes through to hold the stretched mainspring inside the grip had rusted away!!
Granted, the owner lives on an Island and is a boat owner, but this little incident made me examine my two Kel-Tecs thoroughly. We also reported this to Kel-Tec and were told they would be using a stainless mainsprings from now on.
I guess the long winded moral of all this is to routinely examine that tool in your pocket you are betting your life on more than once every six months.
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
LWaali
User

(deleted the long winded retort to women's messy bags and misc comments about men's pockets and laundry)

Here, here, to alanint's comment.
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
...They will invariably end up in the bottom of a purse or handbag, banging around with the piles of mysterious junk women carry. The chances of something ending up in the mechanism and eventually jamming it are more than good. If a woman is to carry a wheelgun, they really must take how they carry and store the revolver seriously.
I would recommend a "Sticky Holster", "Remora" or other pocket holster, designed to hug the firearm, keep it in one particular position and help keep it free of outside debris.
I'm imagining a holster sewn to the top, inside lining of the purse, or an area inside that's modified to accept the holsters mentioned above. this would keep the shcmutz out of the firearm and maintain it in a readily accessible, known position within the purse. Not so sure weight will be a problem, as an extra 2.5-3# in my girlfriend's purse wouldn't make much difference, percentage-wise. Talk about mysterious junk!

One drawback is if the perp grabs the purse first thing; it's an obvious prize for the mugger. Maybe one of those sexy garter holsters?
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
alanint
User

They make concealment purses and handbags in many styles. The one I've seen and liked the best was a handbag, which has a small loop the owner places around her wrist. If the handbag is pulled away, the concealed firearm is jerked out of the handbag via the loop and allows the wearer to access the firearm inside a small holster the loop is attached to.
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
jimisbell
User

Well, back to my recently acquired Luger:

I have never had one before so this may be common knowledge.

I bought two boxes of ammo to test in the gun. I had heard that they can be finicky on how they feed different brands of ammo so I wanted to start with just one box of two types to see how they fed. I got a box of Russian made TulAmmo 115 gr 9 mm Luger and a box of USA made Federal 115gr 9mm Luger.

I have not yet fired a round or either. They seem to be too long to feed into the magazine properly. Since both types have the same problem, I temd to blame the magazine. After putting 4 rounds in the magazine, any more will fit very tight and wont feed as one is taken off the top. It appears that the first loaded rounds are at a greater angle than the top one.

Can I take the magazine apart to examine the interior without damaging the wooden base?

Last edited by jimisbell; 11-02-2012 at 11:27 PM.