LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-28-2005, 03:59 AM   #1
JimD
User

Default Arty on Auction Arms

Any comments on this gun?
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6981152
Unread 09-28-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Take a look at the picture which shows the bottom of the barrel and front of the receiver. The upper is serial# 12 d (possibly). The frame has a c suffix, and it looks like the four-digit number has been overstamped.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 04:47 AM   #3
policeluger
RIP

I have examined this gun, it is in one of the shops I gun smith for, if I can help let me know, I made the same offer on the stock he was selling along with this, in return a profane flame was given by one of the LF members, if this continues, I will drop all support, it just ain't worth it.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
JimD
User

Thanks Dwight. I was suspecting the mismatch but am no expert. Police Luger, please elaborate. I have no stake in this piece and am looking for honest opinions.

Jim
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

The gun is a mismatch, in my opinion. I could have had it for a song, buy let it go so that someone one else might get a nice deal, beside it is not what I collect. It is a weird MM gun, Sn#12 on top and #4912 on bottom, I feel that the #12 top and bottom are a fluke in finding numbered parts...however it will make someone a very nice shooter, it is a solid gun, not much of a frankenluger, but still not original. Please let me know if I can help, I'm going over there today, and I an give it another look for you
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
JimD
User

A weird fluke was my exact thought. Either it happened by chance or someone worked/waited a long time to get that match. I'll keep an eye on it to see where it goes. I'm trying to trade back into two Arties I used to own. Both are matching which always made me a little leary of shooting them. A decent MM like this one would make a good shooter for the right price.

If you'd look it over in detail I'd sure appreciate it. I wonder if all the top and bottom numbers match each other.
Unread 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
policeluger
RIP

Yes, its all #12 that I saw, I did take the gun apart, do not remember any other SN#'s....what exactly would you like me to look at??
Unread 09-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
JimD
User

Just check the overall condiiton and see if the small parts serial numbers all match. See if its worth buying at a decent price.

Thanks
Unread 09-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
policeluger
RIP

My opinion only , I have let several arty MM type go by me and I would not pay the WAY under 1k asked for them, so to me this is a bit high, then again perhaps I need a reality check, that said it is just as you see, good bore will clearn up better I guess, but! the side of the gun you do not see has a missing round, liked drilled out on the most leading edge/bottom of grip, perhaps 1/4" and on same side has a lot of deep pits perhaps milled over and deep, you know 20/1000 or so around area of metal that shows around grip screw, not perhaps I have made it sound worse, but do not want to miss lead anyone....and leading edge of grip is warn smooth. Ask for a pic of it...Tom is the most honest person you could meet, and does not deserve the flaming given him on the posting above over a repo stock he is also selling.....call him, one of the good guys...760.375.1004
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Howard,

Don't go away just because of the infrequent flame or two.

I recall you weathered that Iranian flame a while back fairly well and diplomatically.

I would miss your postings and info. and experience here on the Forum !
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
policeluger
RIP

Thanks you Pete.....your not going to get rid of me that easy. What is the word on LF Luger fest??....and what about that Swiss ammo on Simpsons "what's new"...24 round boxes for $95 per box...?
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #12
hqbmw
User

What is meant by "MM"?
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
policeluger
RIP

Mis Matched....not original to each other part
Unread 09-29-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
JimD
User

Thanks for looking at it for me. I'll pas on it and save my money for a better one. Unfortunately I am unable to trade back for either of the two I had. Very disappointing! Both are nice guns.
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
Pete Ebbink
User

Default Swiss Ammo

Hi Howard,

I bought a really nice, un-opened box of the same 7.65 Swiss ammo that Simpson's has for sale from a fellow named Rick Engel. I paid the same at $ 95...but the box (boxes) Rick offerss are in 300% better condition and date from the same period.

Here is a photo of the ammo box I got from Rick :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #16
Duelin Tom
New User

Hello all concerned with my Arty luger on Auction Arms and the stock. This arty and stock is a consignment sale. I am not any kind of knowledgable person on lugers. That is why I have Howard help me on these items I sell. And that's why I offer a 3 day inspection. And check my feedback on the auctions. Very positive feedback. I feel sorry for some one that feels my shipping of 19.50 is too much. Maybe if that person had to PAY employees an hourly wage, and pay to get the item packaged and then taken down to a shipper, he might understand that it really does cost someone in business to actually get an item shipped. My commission of items I sell on consignemnt is 10%. So, if the stock sells for roughly $150, I'll make $15. And then take the auction fee of about 5 bucks out of that. So, if it is unsat for a guy to try and make a couple bucks, I stand guilty. And I pay an employee well above minimum wage to help me. So, a sale at 150 plus the 19.50 shipping will probably NET me about $12 profit. Plus, I had to take pics, handle the E mail questions, etc. So, if $12 is unreasonable for some. I'm truely sorry, and hope he understands my delima. I'll bet the critical person wouldn't do all that work for a $12 profit.
For those that understand and support me, Thanks. Duelin Tom.
Duelin Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #17
thegundude
User

Damn Tom. I won't get out of bed for $12....

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 04:15 AM   #18
c3006
User

There is always two sides to every story Tom its good to here yours. clint
Unread 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
Rod WMG
User

Thanks for your input, Tom.

I don't want to offend, in fact I want to welcome you here. However, I don't think stating such a high price for S&H is good policy. The price/reserve for an item should instead be put high enough to cover this and the stated S&H should be what it actually costs to ship the item. This would avoid misunderstandings.

Again, thanks for coming on board.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think that the postage and other charges should be accurately stated.

I understand that you are working on a small margin. The margin should be increased to cover the actual expenses of sale and a reasonable profit.

If this is not possible due to competitive reasons, then I would restrict the forums that the item is being advertiesd in. For example, listing it on this forum (and other forums) that do not charge a fee as I have seen done in the past (forum rules to the contrary notwithstanding).

If there is a need to list it on sites like ebay, then clearly specify the nature of the surcharge so bidder s would know or allow the cosignor the option to use such services at an extra charge.

Heaven knows, I have purchased items from Rock Island and Little John's and paid a buyer's fee (which is clearly stated in their catalogs, etc.) in addition to hammer price on numerous occassion and never thought too much about it. Of course, it is clearly put out front.