LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-26-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default ERMA LA 22 Luger

Got one in from a client today and I expected a potmetal mess. WOW, was I surprised, this is one heavy little sucker! I am hopeful of a nice rust blue and straw part redo. This is like a little tank! Just dont know HOW to take it apart! ~Thor~

Unread 03-26-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
art Buchanan

Default Re: ERMA LA 22 Luger

Are you sure that you are going to rust blue? These are an aloy metal with steel barrel insert. I have messed with these for years. Kind of neat but some work-- some not so good. There is some variation between La 22 and EP 22 trigger mechanism. Interesting to note that in mid 1960s---A copy of the Erma was made in Spain called Panzer. Poor compared to the Erma. I note that these Ermas are fetching quite a price on Gunbroker and Auction Arms. The ET 22 carbine seems to now be a high priced item. I can probably scan dissambly intructions an forward directly to you if it will help.

Unread 03-26-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Art; I have an Erma carbine, very accurate, and fun to shoot.

Lonnie

Unread 03-26-2002, 08:31 PM   #4
R. Grady/Roadkill

A few years back(>10,

Unread 03-26-2002, 08:33 PM   #5
Thor
User

Art what would recommend as a refinish! Thanks for the heads ups, I know nothing about these, that is one heavy alloy. I guess the frame is part of the weight, it has like a full size Luger grip with a little hole for that 22 mag. I sure am scratching my head over this one. Tom told me it was made of steel. The barrel has STRONG magnetic attraction to a magnet but the frame has a LIGHT attraction! A neat gun. Thor

Unread 03-27-2002, 04:39 AM   #6
Mike E Halbrook

I have one of these things. The old NRA: Handgun Assembly

book has instructions for disassembly. They are kind of a

pig to get back togeather and the springs are kinda small

and crappy. The gun appears to be made of "pot metal"

and has a painted type finish. The gun is very accurate

but unreliable.

I would think a epoxy type finish would safer than a blued finish, unless you can find a junk part from one of these

things to test to be sure the bluing chemicals don't disolve it.

Good luck, if you have success, you may hear from me about my LA-22

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:27 AM   #7
R. Grady/Roadkill

Trading around a few years back I ended up with a Winchester 12 ga pump with an alloy receiver. Nothing would stick to it. I redid the stock & barrel and the best I could do with the receiver was epoxy gloss engine manifold paint, result was presentable but not what I wanted.

Roadkill

Unread 03-27-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
sidhartha
User

I had one of these several years ago. The finish was bad on it so I took it aprt and glass beaded it. It looked like it was parkerized when I was done. G96 makes some stuff that will blacken aluminum. I think is called aluma black but I am not sure if that is the right name for it. I have used it on other things with mixed results. Thought this might help.

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #9
Art Buchanan

Down through the years I have tried Alumnium black products to try to touch up the Ermas---not real good success. I would expect that one of Brownells bake on finishes might work. When the ET carbines came out about 64 or 65 they were less than $70 wholesale. The trigger mechanisms are kind of strange, the grip seems to hold the whole mess together. Once worked on one that required shim under grip to hold trig assy together to make it work. I have some magazine articles etc on the Ermas from the 1960s that I could share. Also have orig disassemby instructions. The 12" carbine bl. is removable---slide in fit to rec with pins to hold. I have cut off orig bls on 3 different 4" Ermas, drilled out rec and sleeved-in long barrels. Kind of fun pieces. Once made a 4 barrel set. Used Thompson Contender rear sights for longer bls. One can make a kind of neat Artillery using that sight. Contact me directly if I can help.