LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
tracyp
User

Default Krause, Mattz, and Californa Gun Laws

Maybe Pete would know this? I was wondering how Mike Krause sells his .45 or Baby Luger in California, since they are not on the California DOJ handgun certification list. A .45 Martz Luger would also have this problem. A Martz Baby Luger would be okay if the original serial number was retained, then it would fall under the C&R exemption.

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

As I hear it from others close to Mike Krause, he has a "manufacturer's" license. Not sure this gets him out of the "DOJ drop test" lab requirements or not.

I also do not know if his clients live in CA or maybe he sells only to out-of-state buyers ???

You might call his shop and ask him...as you would be a CA-State buyer.

I also hear David Buehn (Surf City Guns) has a manufacturer's license as well...in the Colt 1911 world.

As far as Martz, I hear his are made up of 2 guns...cut down, assymetrically, and welded back up. Maybe he retains the serial number of one of the donor pieces ??? I think a licensed gun-smith is allowed to restore the original serial number if his work involves negatively-impacting the original stampings.

Similar to a restoration artist "bringing back" serial numbers and other stampings in the course of their restoration work. As long as the restored serial number is the same number as the original numbers.

I think the removal of an original serial number or changing the number is the area of legal concern.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
tracyp
User

Thanks Pete. I would love to have one (or both) of Mike Krause's .45 or Baby Lugers, but I don't think I can spare the $15K or $20K each.

I was just curious

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote