LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
greygrouse
User

Question Newbee need info on P'08 1915 DWM

Lads,
Lots of questions, please bear w/me.
In the process of acquiring a Model 1914(?) in 9mm. No grip safety, has a stock lug, toggle grips not scallopped. All parts (xcpt mag) have same 2 digit number. Some straw color left, grips are well worn w/small piece missing under safety lever. No pitting in the bore and functions w/factory Win ammo. Overall condition a generous 85% - no major rust or pitting, muzzle and disassembly plate show holster wear. Extractor is marked geladen and safety is in block letters.
Now for the questions:
1. How do I determine serial #. I only see a 3 digit number on chamber left side and frame and under barrel. No extra letters or numbers I can see.
2. Chamber top is marked 1915 (yr of mfg I spose) and the script DWM on the top strap.
3. There appear to be proof marks on the right front of the receiver just shy of the barrel. Hard to describe but here goes. There are 4 marks, the first (l to r) and third are the same - look like a crown over a "slashed" S, second in series looks like a crown over a large "C" with an "f" inside it. Final mark like a cactus w/upturned arms and feet on either side (how's that for a creative description).
I don't have a good source for proofmarks, so I'm hoping someone knows what these are. Could they be regemental marks???
I really need the proper serial # so I can register it. What should it consist of??
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Mike
greygrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Pictures can be worth a thousand words...
Serial number is the one under the barrel on the frame in front of the trigger guard.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Geo99
User

There may be a letter under the SN, or not.

If you only have a 3 digit number on the frame and under the barrel without any letter, then you have a low SN gun from the first block made in 1915..

The 4 proofs on the right side are standard military proof marks found on all WWI army Lugers.

- Geo
Geo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Geo99 for your post:
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
greygrouse
User

Lads,
Thanks much!!
Now... I certainly understand you cannot place an exact $ value on this (sorry... on "Wind-up" service here in the north woods, so photos can take literally days to send), but do you think $600 is out of line???
I only intend to give it a good cleaning - no real alterations.
Would this model be considered a do-not-shoot collectible, or can I use low-power loads and have some fun w/it?? Can anyone recommend a "safe" reload for a gun of this vintage?
Also, I'd like to get some grips in better shape (not high $ if I can help it) since the oem's are dry and might crack further if I shoot it - where should I look for grips? Don't have to be originals since I'll keep the oem's.
I guess my real intent here is to both preserve a piece of history and... if possible... enjoy shooting it as well.
BTW, I also have the "G" date Luger (complete...yes... w/both numbered mags, holster and take-down tool) my dad brought back from the Big One. This must have ridden on a "desk" officer's hip since it truly is 90-95%. Squeeze the grips and the marks show in your hand!!! I'll have to describe it sometime and get your opinion on it. He and I are the only "provinence" on it and it hasn't left me in well over 50yrs.
Happy to be part of another "real" forum that seems to be more interested in appreciating a fine firearm than comparing "testosterone" production organs.

Mike
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I don't shoot all matching collectible firearms. Your "G" date is collectable, and don't consider firing it... But...

It sounds like the condition on your new Luger (the WW-I vintage DWM) may not quite be collectable due to wear and finish condition. 85% is considered borderline collectable.

It is worth $600 as a shooter.

Use standard power loads with 115gn or 124gn projectiles. Ball (round nose) ammo.

Don't use "NATO" power loads. They are higher.

You may need to consider updating the recoil spring.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
greygrouse
User

Thumbs up

mrerick,

Thanks - kinda reinforced what I was thinking. Haven't shot the "G" date in about 20yrs, and will put it in "preservation" condition. Have lots of friend who always wanted to shoot it, and I always hesitated. Now I've got something we can truly enjoy with care.

Always enjoyed shooting P08's, so glad I have one to use judiciously. I handload, so will make up some good low-power plinkers.

I'll probably replace the grips and do a complete cleaning and re-lubing of the DWM. Obviously, will save all original parts. Might be consulting this site if I find anything in questionable condition for a replacement.

Since Lugers have such varied collectability, I feel confident in the $600 price. Buying from a friend, and don't want to cheat him by buying something that might have been very valuable (but unknown to either of us).

Great to have sites w/dedicated afficianados.

Mike
The following member says Thank You to greygrouse for your post: