LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
alvin
User

Default Why did this junk go so high, any thought?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=144635776

Even harder to understand -- such a great bid cannot reach the "reserve". Are bidder and seller the same person playing self-entertaining game? Any thought?

Look up calendar again. Today's Holloween, not April 1st.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Ice
User

Interesting. I have often wondered if some of the cutaways seen at the gunshows were the product of an enterprising American machinist taking a junk pistol and turning it into a "rare factory artifact".

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Except for the ridiculous wire frame stock, it looks to be very well done...very overpriced, but good work...Nice bluing, some polished and some satin parts...

I'm curious as to why he says "No License Required"...The barrel appears to be intact/uncut (unlike some C96 cutaways I've seen pics of) and it is possible it could fire a round...(not safely, but the BATF does not care about that, only function)...

Maybe bore is plugged...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Good cutaways are expensive.

I would love to have one in a luger; and the ones i have seen for other guns are over $1000 and up...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
saab-bob
User

Hard to believe it did not sell for $1700.00.

It sure reminds me of something Federal Ordnance would have done. Did they have someone on staff who could write in Chinese?

Bob
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-bob View Post
It sure reminds me of something Federal Ordnance would have done.
That thought also struck me as well...But IIRC the Fed-Ord carbines had a Schnabel-like fore end and a wood stock that attached with a tongue-and-groove, like this one appears to have...

This one appears to have at least two different bluings, and is quite well machined (unlike some Chinese C96's)...
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
alvin
User

This thing used a German gun as a base. The concept is not far away from the advanced laser pistol in the movie "Star War".

Looks to me the upper receiver's base was an Early 1930, barrel was cut away and replace with this longer one. See that bolt stop position, that's 1930 style. Why would someone install such a ugly long pipe was unclear... probably need a 16"+ barrel to attach that funny stock and avoid ATF registration.

The hammer and lock frame style point to earlier gun. Probably a Bolo, or Wartime, highly polished with sand paper. Probably used some Chinese replacement small parts.

The frame definitely came from a small ring, but it's hard to estimate the variation. The grip was cut away and replaced with this wired stock.

The Chinese characters on it basically says it's cut away in Nationalist era. Hehe
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Why would someone install such a long pipe was unclear... probably need a 16"+ barrel to attach that funny stock and avoid ATF registration.
Description says 12" barrel...

Quote:
...highly polished with sand paper. That's not rocket science. I can do sanding.
Do you do refinishing??? I would be interested in seeing your work...I hate sanding/buffing/polishing...But since most of my latest interests are wartime mfg, then tool marks are acceptable (preferable IMO)...

The satin finish most likely comes from blasting...I do bead, sand, and walnut shell blasting, but again, it is not something seen on wartime weapons...

From the look of the contact arc of the safety, this cutaway has not been safed/cycled much, if at all...You would expect that a demonstration piece would have more handling marks than appears on this one...

What do the Chinese characters say???
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac
Default Luger cut away

here is a Luger cut away
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2465838
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
alvin
User

Good catch! I am thinking about why he could install a short barrel without violating the U.S. gun law. Probably because this thing is not fireable anyway. The description does not mention FFL/C&R, probably it's not counted as a firearm.

Refinish.... I did a few small items (not gun) for fun. Honestly described and sold to members here cheaply. I forgot who bought them. Currently nothing in hand. Run out of rust blue agent. Some fun in the process, not much. So I won't buy more agent anymore. $10 a bottle from Brownell back a few years ago.

There are a few groups of chars. The text on the left side of the stock attaching iron says "Used to Suppress Turmoil", roughly means this cut-away was used for anti-communism activities (how? scaring them using a cut away?). The text on the left side of the magazine well says "Made by 2nd Tong Guan Armorer". The text on the right of receiver says "Made in Tong Guan" (I cannot read reciever text clearly, could be wrong on receiver text)

Tong Guan. A town in northern China. See Google Map point "D".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tongguan.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	9327  

Unread 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Cristi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I'm curious as to why he says "No License Required"...The barrel appears to be intact/uncut (unlike some C96 cutaways I've seen pics of) and it is possible it could fire a round...(not safely, but the BATF does not care about that, only function)...

Maybe bore is plugged...
2nd picture shows a cut chamber
Cristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
2nd picture shows a cut chamber
That's a negative. C96 chamber is farther forward of that cut - approximately where the receiver rail ends...It would still be possible to chamber and fire a round, assuming the breech is not blocked.

Edit: You are right; I am wrong. I was looking at area above rounds in magazine; I did not notice the round in the [cutaway] chamber until I downloaded the pic and lightened it. As you remarked, it only shows in pic # 2, and not too well.

You are much better at seeing details than I.
Attached Images

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-01-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Unread 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
alvin
User

From the 2nd pix, the horizontal cut on the chamber is longer than 1". This piece is for illustration purpose, not for shooting. It's not shootable even without that cut on chamber, the strength of the cut away bolt is questionable, and shaking during firing may spill small parts out. For my shooting purpose, I won't pay more than $1k but I would require all matching and great bore, poor blue is OK. Also, for shooting, better be a German gun. Heard rumor saying Chinese copy's chamber may explode (rumor, I have never acquired one of those so rumor only. Quality varies for sure)
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
worldoftone
User

All the German C-96s I have shot are solid.

- WOT
worldoftone is offline   Reply With Quote