LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-09-2001, 04:10 PM   #1
Don
User

Default Original Finish?

I was browsing a local gunshop this weekend, and briefly examined a 1939 "41." The finish was beautiful -- 99%. No pitting -- just a little wear on the side plate, at least according to a cursory look. The grips appeared original, but with some big, deep gashes -- that appeared to be of recent origin becasue the wood in the gashes was still almost white. Bore was excellent. I didn't examine the gun any further, but the dealer said they had stripped and all the numbers appeared to match. He didn't make any claims about the finish being original; we both assumed it was refinished.

Here's my question: Are there any good tips on assessing the originality of a dipped blue finish? Other than pitting that has been blued over? Thanks, guys.

Unread 09-09-2001, 04:37 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Original Finish?

I assume you meant "42" instead of the posted "41" Manufacture code?

Unread 09-09-2001, 11:48 PM   #3
Don
User

Oops! Yep!

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:25 AM   #4
Craig
User

Hi Don,

Here are some things to watch for:

Look at the sear bar lever, that bar that appears and disappears as the safety is operated. It's supposed to be bare steel. If it is blued the gun has been dipped.

Check the coupling link, that T-bar S-curved piece which connects the toggle to the mainspring assembly. It also should not be blued.

Rebluers often doen't take the time to completely disassemble the gun, and parts get blued which shouldn't be.

Check the back of the frame for evidence of the toggle comming to a stop in full recoil. There should be two little square marks or partial marks where the blue is gone. If the marks are there the pistol may still have been reblued, but if they're not there the gun is unfired, little fired, or reblued.

1936 and earlier lugers have some strawed parts. Knowing whether parts are supposed to be strawed or blued can alert to a reblue.

The preceeding were my thoughts, modifications and corrections are welcome, for low I am but mortal.

An I'm not usin that stinkin spell checker cause I know how to spell looger. Now where's my 1939 43 code. (jes jokin)

Craig

Unread 09-10-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
Don
User

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Craig. I didn't strip the gun that day, in fact I wasn't going to even THINK about buying another Luger for a long time. But sometimes the bug bites ... or at least nibbles a little.

One possible clue that I now recall: The exjector was strawed, which even I as a confused newbie know is not appropriate. But I guess that doesn't tell us much.