LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Revolvr
User

Default Worried about preserving your C&R?

We are always worrying about original finishes, has it been dipped or refinished, should we restore or not....

Thought this was amusing. Not a Luger, but a painting. At least I'm pretty sure I can get bubble guim off my Luger without leaving a mark.

-- Dan

DETROIT (Reuters) - Painter Helen Frankenthaler's landmark abstract work "The Bay" just got a little more abstract -- to the dismay of Detroit museum officials.

A 12-year-old boy visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts with his school group on Friday stuck a wad of chewing gum on the painting, which is worth an estimated $1.5 million, the Detroit Free Press said.

The barely chewed Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum left a residue stain about the size of a quarter in the lower left-hand corner of the painting, the newspaper said.

The 1963 painting, which remains on display, is considered one of the most important modern works in the Detroit museum's collection, the newspaper said.

Museum curators expect to be able to remove the gum residue with a solvent once they have researched the chemicals contained in the gum, assistant contemporary art curator Becky Hart said.

"In the scheme of things, this is upsetting, and it will make us review our policies. But we're confident that the painting will be OK," Hart told the Free Press.
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
G.W. Gill
User

I viewed that on the news. I was curious as there was no rope railing to keep people at a distance.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

I love musuems, and sometimes I am amazed at the little amount of security to keep the idiots, uh, I mean visitors at bay
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
trigger643
User

Didn't Johnny Cash have a song: "don't take you gum to town boy, leave your gum at home..."

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote