LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 10-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
kingfisher
New User

Default 1920 mismatch

Just out of curiosity, were all of the 1920 stamped lugers matched? I have read here that some were made up of parts from WWI lugers. I am looking at a gun that has an all matched DWM upper, suffix n, but it is on an all matched Erfurt frame with no stock lug and it appears to have the original finish and strawing, showing average finish for a gun this age. It has a nice bore and he is asking $650 for it. Seems to function nicely and I just wondered if it was that way originally or just something someone put together, since most mismatches I have seen are much more mismatched than this one(Frankenlugers). I think it would be a good shooter since it is a 9mm. Thought I would ask, since that's the way you learn about these things.
Kingfisher
kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

"Doc" although some were made up from WW1 parts, the vast majority of commericial guns were made new.

However, 1920 dated are not reworks; the 1920 is a gov't property stamping (usually, as there were new made 1920 dated lugers also). But since the one you are looking at is an erfurt frame and DWM top, it is simply a mismatched luger.

$650 is a decent to good price.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
kingfisher
New User

Ed-
Thanks for the info- it confirms my suspicions- but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I appreciate the ok on the price, these days I guess that is a decent buy for a clean mismatch shooter, but boy, have these things taken off since my collecting days 20 or so years ago. I used pay that for a nice matched piece. I sure wish I had held on to the ones I had back then. Thanks again.
Doc
kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote