LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Chris from Minnesota
User

Default Found something different at the MWCA show

Well I went down to the MWCA show this weekend and left with something that I had been looking for sometime now. Didn't expect to find it at a gun show but I guess these thing aren't to uncommon to find at one.

Had to do a little cleaning, the pump gasket that is made out of leather was dry as a bone, soaked it in oil and the pump works great. I finally got it fired up and it will bring water too a boil, but the seal on the gas cap leaks and doesn't hold any pressure, used a green cap off one of my lanterns and it worked fine. Of course I had to completely disassemble the thing to figure that out. I'm surprised I didn't break anything, I guess that shows Colman knew what they where doing when they built these things. The only unfortunate thing is the handle for the two pots and the wrench are missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	6008  

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	6009  

Name:	IMG_1111.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	6010  

Name:	IMG_1115.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	6011  

Chris from Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

That is way cool!!!

Does it use gasoline for fuel??? Or is it multi-fuel???

Can you estimate its age???

It looks much larger than it is...Can you give some approximate dimensions???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

This stove was designed to use "white" gas (unleaded) but will probably work with any kind of gasoline. I also own one of these that I bought from an Army property disposal office back in 1970.

I haven't used it in years, but it worked when I stored it. Mine has no handle, or even a place to put a handle...

It worked well enough to melt lead in a cast iron pot for casting bullets as I recall...

Mine cost me $1.00 back then ... what did you end up paying for yours now?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Chris from Minnesota
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
That is way cool!!!

Does it use gasoline for fuel??? Or is it multi-fuel???

Can you estimate its age???

It looks much larger than it is...Can you give some approximate dimensions???
Postino, it recommends white fuel but also uses lead gasoline. A gentlemen inquired about the stove and stated that he uses unleaded gas in his.

Measurements are approximately 8 3/4 in high and 4 1/4 in in diameter.

This stove was made in 1946 as it is stamped B46 there are also A46 stamped stoves too. I read somewhere that they had estimated that the A46 stove was made between Jan. to June of 1946 not sure if that is correct.

The Coleman 530 was the predecessor of the 520 which was a U.S. Military contracted stove made only for military sales from 41 to 46 I believe, may even have been made through 1947. The 530 stove was made for commercial sale for two years 1946 and 1947. It was called the G.I. pocket stove as a sales gimmick and was targeted toward returning vets of WWII as the stove operate similarly to the 520. The 530 was never under military contract but the military did buy the 530 from Coleman.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	6043  

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Chris from Minnesota
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
This stove was designed to use "white" gas (unleaded) but will probably work with any kind of gasoline. I also own one of these that I bought from an Army property disposal office back in 1970.

I haven't used it in years, but it worked when I stored it. Mine has no handle, or even a place to put a handle...

It worked well enough to melt lead in a cast iron pot for casting bullets as I recall...

Mine cost me $1.00 back then ... what did you end up paying for yours now?
John I pay $90.00 the guy wanted $100.00, the value of these stove right now is around $50.00 to $70.00 depending on condition and tools that are with it. Before the economy went bad there were selling on eBay for around $100.00 to $150.00.

I just had to have this one, bought another one that has the original top plate with it for $69.00 on eBay. I just need the wrench pot handle combo tool and I will have a complete one. I want one that is all original with all the parts and one I can use camping.